2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnum 408 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mccart
Ok so the wideband o2 goes in separate from the PCM o2 sensors, before the cat correct?...
I have my wideband in the collector of the left bank, and the PCM is in the right bank collector.

Originally Posted by mccart
...are you running a 408?...
Nope, sadly not... you asked for a 24# injector... I mentioned what I was using that is close to 24lbs/hr.
The stock injector is 23.2lb/hr@49psi, and it is supposed to be more than aqueduct for 360's, so another ˝lb/hr should be OK to keep up with a 408, but as HeyYou points out, you've got to try it... I wasn't sure if the injectors I chose weren't going to be too much for my little 5.2 in the interim, before doing more work to it.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 408 ran on the stock tune and stock injectors for the first 500 miles.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
mccart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as for the nitrous it'll be farther down the road

What kind of injectors do you recommend? I was looking at the Accel injectors from Hughes

Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

if it concerns the cubic inch equivalent direct to fuel injector size would be 27lbs (the closest injector size I could find for sale). This of course would not be considering a cam swap or head work, both of which change base injector requirements and both of which need tuning to run efficiently.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:58 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

single orifice, 15 degree pattern with no offset, it will spray right down on the valve and vaporize like it's supposed to. I'm not sure on the resistance so check your stock injector before ordering. No matter what you do, if you plan to go a bit bigger on the injector and tune for it so you have room later for power adders, make sure your tuner gets the exact specs for the injector, meaning, do not buy off ebay or any site that doesn't post the injector data for you. That would be shooting your foot...in the dark...with a spear gun.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:29 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Stock is 12 Ohm I believe... the ones I'm using are 12.5 Ohm.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:07 PM
34blazer
Rookie

Injector considerations:
- Use a size that will safely provide enough fuel that doesn't exceed 80%, usually injector operation is erratic if not static at or above 90% DC.
- When you buy the injectors, have the company send out a datasheet, this will provide you with the correct offsets needed to program the JTEC.
- The Sequential firing(low rpm) of the injectors will be able to fire larger injectors at a small enough PW to not cause any issues....as long as proper voltage offset corrections and low PW offsets are provided. A professional tuner will know how to program this.
- Bosch Design III(4 orifice) injectors are arguably better than single orifice injectors due to better atomization

Wideband considerations:
- Not sure of the logging configuration you will be using but at least have one with a controller that will log the data. 14point7.com has some nice ones
- Try to place the WBO2 sensor in a place where it can sample all 8 cylinders is recommended.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:54 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been on this forum for a long time and almost all of the 408 guys are on here with A/F problems, most if not all are using the factory rails and closed circuit system. Even with my motor I would like to go with a fuel return system, external fuel pump, filter, adjustable fuel psi regulator and a return line. This would go a long way in fine tuning the A/F mix. If I was to build a 408 this would be included with the motor build to be done.

I am using the Accel 3 hole injectors size 24lbs@43psi, they work fine with my motor, no heat sink as some think using a metal body injector.

I have not been motor oriented of late but I had plans to go with Fasts dual wideband unit.

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/air-fuel-tuning

Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Funny that the trucks aren't a return fuel system where a Jeep Wrangler is. So hopefully I will not have as many issues tuning my engine. And someday a 408 build tooooooo.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

A 408 would be nice, but the reality (for me) is, it would not be used to its potential, so would really be an overkill.

I think if I did go for a rebuild, I would do a 390 stroker, since my truck came with the 5.2... this would still be more than enough for me.

Quick Reply: Magnum 408 build