2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Nv4500 Conversion Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:07 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The molding around it is one piece. IOW, it makes things a lot easier to line up. There's only like 2 inches of possible side-to-side error. ANd imam take alook at the parts manual and see if it says anything about steering column mechanisms]

Old 02-07-2014, 09:22 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Steering wheel lock is key only, but as heyyou stated, if it is not locked in park you can't roll the tumblers back past a certain point to take the key out or use the acc position.

On another note, when you swapped pedals did you change the entire hangar bracket? When I did mine (wish I would have taken more pictures) the hanger for the auto had an odd piece in the casting that wouldn't let the clutch master clear. I learned that after pulling the rod and just switching pedals.

As for the clutch safety switch, I bypassed mine. Some people don't like that, but I'm use to big rigs so I make sure its out of gear before starting. If you're using the automatic loom still this is real easy. The 3 pin plug by the shifter on the trans is neutral safety (middle wire on mine) and backup lights (outer wires). I just grounded the middle wire and it started right up. I ran the other 2 wires to the reverse switch on top of the tranny for my lights. As far as I could tell, it didn't matter which way they went as the switch just completes the circuit.

Hope my ramblings help and enjoy your project... I know I have enjoyed mine.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

HY, no luck on finding the mechanism that locks it, but as far as I know it only happens when the key is NOT in the ignition and you try to turn it. Never had a lock up while rolling or with the key in and sitting in park. I think it might be an ignition thing. Ill figure something out.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

I pulled the whole assembly out, put it back in with only the gas pedal, then put in the brake pedal and clutch. It was a pain either way. I couldn't even take the steering wheel out to let the assembly out. Pics will be coming but long story short - The assembly is the same one I had before but with different pedals. And thanks, I was wondering how the heck I was gonna wire the transmission. One step at a time LOL.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

What do I need to replace in my transmission again to convert it it two wheel drive. Heres a pic to help explain http://www.allstategear.com/NV4500In...rBreakdown.htm ... Im just confused to a point and don't want to spend anymore than it takes to convert it. Other than that, here's day 3

DAY3: Pilot bearing and flywheel in. Truck is ready for the trans other than maybe a very minor part or two.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

You want the mainshaft, I think its number 2.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:02 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

So just what are you doing? 2wd nv4500 to 4wd or 4wd nv4500 to 2wd????

Old 02-08-2014, 09:33 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

2wd to 4wd. I just couldn't remember which parts where needed to be changed on the trans. Frankly, I don't see how anything on the front end of the trans would be different, but that's just my guess. But IDC as long as I can do this properly so I'll have a functioning truck again. Im euphoric that I got this far.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

A little help?

Old 02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Mainshaft, #2 in your parts diagram. Will also need the extension housing for the 4x4. (#7 in the diagram, top one. They show two different ones..... make sure to get the right one....) Everything else should be the same.

Quick Reply: Nv4500 Conversion Project