2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:31 AM
whteknte
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil problem need help

hello everyone I have a 96 dodge ram 1500 4x2 about 190,000 on truck about 90,000 on engine recently took it to the dealer for an oil change which I have done every 3000 miles since new ,ran truck about 2000 miles and was getting a low oil light at the gauge ,so via info found on this forum I changed the sending unit on back of motor and since I did that I decided to change the oil ,what I found was more oil in truck that supposed to be there ,oil smells like gas or more like kero,oil was very dark almost black, and oil filter weighed about 5 pounds all this seemed very odd but I figured it ran well so everything was alright...well now after about 1200 miles later oil is back smelling like gas or kero , more oil than I put in it ,oil is again black, oil light comes on when it gets warm ,i changed the oil but found nothing in it , no particles or shavings or anything just too much and it smells, truck runs fine otherwise ,no smoke ,runs smooth no hesitation, no knocks or pings , no gunk in oil fill , no oil in antifreeze or vice versa, mileage and gas usage about the same anyone got any ideas what the heck is going on ????????????

Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to DF. Will move you to the correct section.

Please make an attempt to use punctuation and complete sentences. We don't ask for perfection, just an attempt. One continuous run-on sentence that should in fact be somewhere between eight and ten sentences is very hard to read. Many helpful people will simply skip your thread completely due to this. I mean no offense, but please take a few minutes to reread what you have written, adding appropriate punctuation, and you will get a lot more help.

For future reference, the below link explains where to post threads (so you don't get them moved around anymore):
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-r...ead-first.html

Old 02-08-2014, 09:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Sounds like gas is getting into the oil. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it, and see if your injectors are leaking. Is the truck hard to start after it sits for a bit?

Old 02-09-2014, 12:54 AM
whteknte

ok well i posted it on the main page looking for help from anyone that offered it or knew what was wrong did not do it to offend anyone ,i did not know there were rules for that .And sorry about the punctuation,I am using a new laptop and its being difficult, when i want to type something do not know why, i sent a letter to someone first day i had it and it was filled with question marks and i know i did not type them . as far as HeyYou's question .no it is not hard to start when it sits the truck sat for two days because i was afraid to start it or even drive it. But when i got in ,it started right up no smoke or any weird noises ,so i drove it to my friends garage and changed the oil.Same result very black oil, smells like some kind of fuel,heavy filter ,will be cutting it open to see if I can find something in it. Also drained the coolant and it looks green with no oil in it,put new in. I will be putting another pcv in it tommorrow and checking the plenum but i do not think thats it ,because i can hear and feel the pcv working when i have it running. i think i will try to get a fuel presuure test done ,it is a sealed system with the regulator in the tank and i do not have the tools or know how to test it .anyone got any ideas as to what else it could be ...thanks

Old 02-09-2014, 11:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gas gets in the oil in a very few ways.

Running excessively rich. The gas washes down the cylinder walls, and rings don't seal worth a darn. So, lotsa gas gets into the oil.

Injectors leaking down when engine is off. The gas will find its way past the rings.

usually, either one of those situations will show itself with a fair bit of black smoke, either at startup, or, all the time..... and the engine won't run very well.

All you really need is a fuel pressure gauge. There is a valve on the drivers side fuel rail the gauge screws onto. Turn the ignition on, and pressure should come up to around 49 PSI, and stay there.... at least for a few minutes.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's what it is, and it sounds like it is, you'll want to correct it sooner rather than later. Gas washing your cylinder walls will cause your rings to wear out rather quickly due to a lack of lubrication.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:38 AM
whteknte

I have throttle body fuel injection on the truck but there are no ports I could find but I will look again .there is no smoke at all of any color even when I stand on it .I even stuck my nose at the pipe and it smells normal, I had someone else rev it up still no smoke. I pulled a plug from no 1 cylinder and it doesn't smell of gas saturation, there are no misfires ,so if its not the fuel pressure what else could it be .it has to be something when the truck is not running because other wise it would be mixing and coming out the tail pipe as smoke right ?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You should have port fuel injection on your truck, unless it has been radically modified from the stock configuration. Still have the kegger manifold? If so, there is a fuel rail on each side of it, with four injectors on each side. On the drivers side rail, about in the middle, should be the pressure test port.

Sounds like you just have an injector that leaks then.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:27 PM
whteknte

yeah I have the kegger but I think it was replaced when the engine was replaced. my question is if the oil filter is getting clogged from sludge in the motor that was never there in the years ive owned this truck then where did it come from ?. this problem is new and only since I took it to a dodge dealer to get the oil changed? .so lets say I take it somewhere and get the fuel pressure checked and get the oil pressure checked and they are both fine then what do I do?.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the truck runs good, then fuel pressure more than likely IS fine. If you have an injector leaking, pressure will just bleed off quickly when the engine is shut down. (and even that is no guarantee that it IS an injector..... if the pressure does in fact bleed off quick, next step is to pull the fuel rail, pressurize the system, (DO NOT CRANK THE MOTOR) and see what you get. Should be able to see the bad injector. There is also a check valve at the tank that could be bad.)

You know for a fact you are getting gas in your oil.

Go out and have a look at your engine. Pull the air filter housing off. See any injectors on the throttle body? No? Then you have Port fuel injection. If you DO see injectors there, and they are actually doing something..... checking them just got a lot easier. Just have someone turn the key on while you watch them, and see if you see gas coming out.

Quick Reply: oil problem need help