2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idler pulley & belt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 05:31 PM
nvrsftram
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idler pulley & belt?

so I just replace my idler pulley due to bearings making noise, installed new one with no issue and put belt back on. started truck and watched belt rotation and can see that a small strip about 7% of the belt hangs off the back of the pulley, toward the engine, I put old one back on just to see if it was the new pulley, but it did the same also, dunno what I did wrong but, the bushing/washer slide on fine and bolted right in. is this a big issue?

Old 02-09-2014, 07:22 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Originally Posted by nvrsftram
so I just replace my idler pulley due to bearings making noise, installed new one with no issue and put belt back on. started truck and watched belt rotation and can see that a small strip about 7% of the belt hangs off the back of the pulley, toward the engine, I put old one back on just to see if it was the new pulley, but it did the same also, dunno what I did wrong but, the bushing/washer slide on fine and bolted right in. is this a big issue?
I'm not sure of any problems in particular but I would guess you run the risk of it slipping off. I do know I also recently replaced my idler pulley and my belt fit on there just right. No over hang.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:21 PM
nvrsftram
Amateur

thanks for the reply, ive actually been driving like that for a week and the belt has not changed position, do you think it will wear out my belt faster?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Possibly. Got the pulley and washer in the wrong order perhaps?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:49 PM
nvrsftram
Amateur

Well that was embarrassing, thanks for the help, when I took off the old one the washer fell down and I just assumed it went on the back side, I'll never forget that one

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I've never done that before.......

Quick Reply: idler pulley & belt?