2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whine!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine!!!!

Jumped in three truck after work today and was greeted by a haunting whine upon depressing the clutch. Clutch plate not fully disengaging or something worse? Not that you can get much worse than a failing clutch.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Flue
Veteran

Throw out bearing? I assume that means dropping the transmission? Ug... might as well replace clutch plate and synchros? Anyone know of a site that will help with manual transmission synchro and bearing replacement? Thanks

Old 02-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

Yup, throwout bearing means dropping the trans. idk about the synchros and bearings though. How high is the milage on the trans?

Old 02-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Flue
Veteran

There's 168k on the transmission. 1st gear is a bit rough to get in if not moving a little or pump the clutch a couple of times works. 2nd growls, or throws a fit when coming down from 3rd on occasion. Reverse is easiest if aligned in 5th first.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

My understanding is, these transmissions are a pain to rebuild. Bear in mind, I only report what I have read, I have no direct experience with them. (transmissions are a mystery to me. You spin one end, and it comes out the other end faster, slower, or even the OTHER direction..... it's black magic I tell you.)

Old 02-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Flue
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
My understanding is, these transmissions are a pain to rebuild. Bear in mind, I only report what I have read, I have no direct experience with them. (transmissions are a mystery to me. You spin one end, and it comes out the other end faster, slower, or even the OTHER direction..... it's black magic I tell you.)
Lol. The one series of videos on the nv3500 looks to be in someone's bedroom with a set of tools they dug out of grandpa's old wood shed.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Just had this happen to mine--the whine or squeal that is. Had the clutch installed just couple days ago. It is a huge job and one guy did it in a day. Unfortunately for you, it sounds like the trans needs rebuild or get a rebuild from a parts store.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 PM
Flue
Veteran

Unfortunately, I think this is a job left up to those who know what the hell they are doing. I don't have the luxury of having the trans dropped for 3 weeks while i fumble around with the thing. Will call a few places, but I should be able to get synchros, bearings, seals, clutch plate and bearing job done for in a few days for about 1200$.

It sucks driving a beater with out having a decent shop setup to do the work in.

Quick Reply: Whine!!!!