2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clutch Fan (Dodge plowing vs NAPA severe)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 07:52 PM
SparkMasterB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fan (Dodge plowing vs NAPA severe)

I've got a question regarding Dodge's fan clutches.
I'm going back to a mechanical fan on my work/plow truck since I'll be having someone else driving it. I figure with a mechanical fan there's one less thing that could go wrong and one less thing that I'll have to worry about.

Alright, so...
Does anyone know if Dodge plow fan Part # 52028837 (as per the TSB) is the same as the 'Severe' Duty fan offered at Napa (napa part # 272307 and 272306)?

I have heard (on several plow and dodge forums) that the Dodge 52028837 fan locks up at a lower temperature compared to the standard clutch.
I have also read read (from several autoparts manufacturers, one being 4seasons) that the 'Severe' duty fan clutches are the same as the 'Heavy' duty clutches in that they lock up 70-90% over a 'standard' duty 60-70% , except that the Severe duty dissipate heat better.

What is the story with the Dodge part? Is the 52028837 just a normal 'severe' duty or does it lock up at a lower temperature to help when there is a plow on the truck?

The price difference is the Napa clutch costs $55, the Dodge clutch costs $200. I'm running a 180F stat if that makes a difference.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Think I would try the NAPA clutch, and see how it goes......

Old 02-15-2014, 10:37 AM
SparkMasterB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Think I would try the NAPA clutch, and see how it goes......
After thinking about it more, I have a feeling the factory stock clutch is a standard duty, and the Dodge "Plow" clutch is a heavy/severe duty. My other Ram (99 2WD) has an aftermarket (Delphi brand) Severe duty clutch by the looks of it. That is what was on the truck when I bought it a few years back, and it roars quite a bit more than when I had a mechanical fan on my work truck, which actually looks like a napa heavy duty looking at the heat sink on it.

I asked a few people at both the local dealers and they had no clue... But that is pretty much the response every time I've been in there. Its an 01 and the other is a 99, thing is EOL as far as they're concerned. As long as it costs me less than a new truck (which isn't much less), I'll keep it till the wheels fall off.

Quick Reply: Clutch Fan (Dodge plowing vs NAPA severe)