2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

LMC Truck door hinge pin fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:18 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LMC Truck door hinge pin fix

Hi guys. I'm wondering if anyone has done this door pin fix with the parts from LMC truck? Didn't see a DIY for one. I bought that repair kit last week (for my sagging door) and can see how it's supposed to work. But looking at the factory hinge pins that are on the truck now, both ends of it are flat, so I can't drive them out one way or another. To me it looks like I need to get a dremel and cut the pins in half, drive them out top and bottom and put the new ones in. Does that sound like the easiest way? I'm open to suggestions. I've tried to include pictures or links to the pictures of the kit and my mcgyver'd door hinge pin, but if they don't show up I'm not going to worry about. Thanks guys
http://s43.photobucket.com/user/mlho...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s43.photobucket.com/user/mlho...tml?sort=3&o=1

Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, cut em off, put on new ones...every 2 years it seems. However, the c-clips on the new ones make the job much easier and it only costs a few bucks.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:20 PM
chromed95
Captain

cool, that sounds pretty easy. Now just need to get my scrubby hands on a dremel or something that will cut those pins. I'll try to take some pictures of step by step, maybe it could be a DIY reference to someone in the future.

Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 AM
chromed95
Captain

also, is there any foreseeable issues I might come across with the door spring once I take the pins out? Will it be free to fall out and be a nasty thing to get back into place? Looks like a very hard area to get a spring compressor into...

Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

You are going to need to insert the new bushings between the inner, and outer sections of the hinge. That is going to give that spring an opportunity to LEAP out of there, and then find itself someplace to hide a good distance from where you are working. There is a neat little tool just for those guys, but, I am unsure if you have the room to get the tool in there to compress the spring. (and thus, make it far easier to deal with.)

Your best bet is going to be having two people, one to manipulate the door, and the other to deal with pins and bushings, while paying CLOSE attention to that spring.

The kit I got, came with the pin, and roller, for the lever that spring pushes against as well..... (and they need changed too.....) It can be a challenging repair.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM
chromed95
Captain

ok thanks hey you. I've got a spring compressor but I think it's way too big to get in there like you said. I'm thinking if it does pop out I'll compress it with that tool, zip tie it compressed and get it into place and cut the zip ties…in theory it sounds like a good idea

Old 02-17-2014, 03:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

That might actually work..... Let me know if it does. (and I will steal the idea.... )

Old 02-17-2014, 11:48 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick Reply: LMC Truck door hinge pin fix