2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE with shift kit new rebuild, it is has a shifting problem without towing load

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 11:08 PM
josiechapman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 46RE with shift kit new rebuild, it is has a shifting problem without towing load

Hello,

I just had my 98 Laramie 1500 4x4 46RE replaced and rebuilt by a transmission shop. Cost me $1554 with the TC planetary gear replacement.

First, I was driving up the mountain to Denver and a few rice burners thought they were bad driving 80 up the winding curves. So I challenged them to the hill climb reaching 120. I don't think they have ever been beat by an old man in an old dodge.

Ok, 200 miles later I started getting a thumping noise and soon after my TC snapped off at the top of the overdrive case. I guess I shouldn't have shown the young ones up.

Back to my problem, I bought a used 46RE out of a 99 1500 and took it to the shop. The guy took both trannies and rebuilt the new one for me and told me it had a shift kit, I was glad it did.

The problem I am having is that under a 2,000 pound load on my trailer with the over drive off, It shifts great. However in normal traffic with the overdrive off, I constantly shift from 2nd to 3rd at speeds between 30 and 40. It drives me crazy. Is that type of shifting normal with the shift kit, it did the same thing without a shift kit before.

I asked the shop if you could adjust the kick down cable and he stated that dodge has a preset cable and you can't do that like on a chevy.

The only other problem I had was it was leaking at the output shaft from the TC and I had him replace it, but it soon started leaking again, so I had the drive shaft balanced and it was 1/2 ounce off. I replaced both u joints as well. The rear differential I went ahead and serviced it.

Replaced at 189,000 miles, currently driven 800 miles on the new tranny. Could the shift solenoid go bad that fast or is it something else? It also shifts out of overdrive when driving from Colorado springs to Denver at speeds of 65 to 75, sometimes I just have to leave the OD off.

Any suggestions? plus I have a 5.2 with no mods currently.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I moved your post out of 96freebie's thread. Please start your own threads in the future instead of posting in someone elses.

Last edited by jkeaton; 03-02-2014 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

TV cable is indeed adjustable. Procedure is in the service manual. (which you can download from the service manual thread in the FAQ section here. get the 01 version. That will be closest to your truck.)

Why drive with O/D off when unloaded? It does indeed alter shift points, and behavior. if you leave O/D on, does it do the same thing?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 PM
josiechapman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does shift in the 25 to 35 or 40 during traffic with or without the O/D on or off. It definitely shifts a lot from 50 to 65 when on the highway. But that is when I am driving to Denver on hilly roads, not so much when going to Pueblo which is lower elevation and south of us. I start at 6045 feet in fountain up to monument hill which is 7000 ft and then goes up and down a lot for the next 60 miles. At times I seem to bog down until it finally shifts into passing gear or I manually shift it out of over drive. I will definitely try adjusting the tv cable.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Test the throttle position sensor as well. If it is being strange, the trans will act funny as well.

Quick Reply: 46RE with shift kit new rebuild, it is has a shifting problem without towing load