2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

upgrades/cost effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 PM
jconlin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrades/cost effectiveness

ive found myself really been doing some heavy duty things with my half ton(mainly delivering firewood that i sell). so far ive installed a very nice and accurate auto meter trans temp gauge, coilover rear shocks, 1 ton dually rear wheel cylinders, cai. i have add a leafs planned in the rear to give me my rake back (see my pic, my truck is leveled out) im worried the 46re will give out on me, i cant have that. im wondering if it is worth it to throw money at this truck and make it like i need it or try to sell it and get a 2500 gas with the nv4500. My body is straight as an arrow and no rust, i dont think i would be able to find one priced decently that is very straight but i dont want to tear this truck up because it is very nice and only has 110k on it and lots of new replacement parts and sensors. what do you guys think?

Old 03-02-2014, 10:47 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

I would at the very least add a shift kit to what ever you decide to do.
http://www.mistertransmission.com/What-are-shift-kits

Dave

Old 03-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Your truck seems to be in good shape and has low miles. You already have money put into it that you're not gonna get back if you sell, then your gonna be looking forever to find a decent 2500 with a 5 speed for a decent price...

I would just add an auxiliary trans cooler, delete the check valve, and put in a shift kit. Then if down the road the tranny implodes, rebuild it or swap in a 5 speed.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:11 PM
jconlin
Professional

Tranny work scares me, when I changed my fluid, I was too chicken to even adjust my bands, what do you think a tranny shop woluld charge to put it in if I bought it?

Old 03-02-2014, 11:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Do the sonnax sure cure kit. It firms up shifts, and when installed properly, allows the torque converter to fill with the trans in park. (which means, you can check your fluid in park...) It will help the clutches and such last longer. (and comes highly recommended by MonteC, our one-time resident trans guru, yes, I miss him.)

It's the same auto trans in the 3/4 and 1 ton gas trucks. (except the V-10) I know you were talking a manual, but, so far, I have seen all of.... 1, manual trans 2500...... maybe they are more common by you....

Trans shop would probably charge an hour or three, at whatever their going rate is. (75 to 100 bucks an hour around here.)

Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 PM
tincan57
Captain

xjarhead69's article link indicates about a two hour installation on the shift kit, Matt's giving you a heads up on the aux tranny cooler & check valve delete. It's a small amount of money to protect your "platform".

From the photos of your truck, it's a sharp one. Invest in your tranny on the low mileage 1500. The 2500's with an nv4500 will set you back if in decent shape (defer to Matt's position). My 98 1500 farm truck is stouter than ever well north of 200k. K.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
jconlin
Professional

Poking around on craigslist I've found several 5 speed gas 2500s but they're all beat to hell, I think I want to put in a shift kit and start saving for a 5 speed swap, I know a guy that goes to my church that owns a tranny shop so I know he won't gouge me, I think I'll talk to him, he rebuilt my cousins 47re after he ran it with no fluid in it, hopefully my auto will last though, I think I may have him adjust the bands too

Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 AM
jconlin
Professional

What do you guys think about axles? Never had a problem with my 9 1/4 but do you guys think I'll tear it up? Btw thanks guys for taking the time for me, I've just been tossing this issue around in my head for a while and wanted to get some other opinions on it

Last edited by jconlin; 03-03-2014 at 12:10 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 AM
tincan57
Captain

Well, I have not had any problems with my 9 1/4 rear axle. These guys got to horse laugh me when I first arrived because I made a mistake at the quarry and was forced to haul 3,000 lbs of stone home 11 miles in the bed (no problem except I could not exceed 30 mph).

It depends on what you're going to haul (in the bed or behind the truck). If you stay within the design limits, no problems on the 9 1/4 rear axle. But I have to also send you toward Ham Bone's Dana 60 swap Thread (good read). The experts like HeyYou are the folks to turn to.

The reason you see me with the 97 gas 2500 is because I took it as a trade in from a diesel I sold and I liked it to much to sell it. The 98 1500 does most of the work. For heavy hauls (which has not been very often of late) I use a Cummins. Use the search engines and read up on your truck. Best of luck K.

Last edited by tincan57; 03-03-2014 at 12:53 AM. Reason: spell
Old 03-03-2014, 01:32 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you gonna do the Shift kit pick up the TCC boost spring cover too. I just did my shift kit last year and it feels little tighter.

Might want to change the solenoids too since your in there, and switch out trans pan to one with a drian plug. You could do it yourself if you have a place to work on it, not that hard. Won't take a couple hours, more like a couple days, take your time and do it right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TCC-Boost-Valve-Spring-Retainer-Upgrade-Dodge-Clip-A518-A618-42RE-44RE-46RE-47RE-/130917857714?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e7b4ff9b2&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: upgrades/cost effectiveness