2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4BT swap into 99 sport 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Coming together pretty good. How so before you crank it up?

Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Coming together pretty good. How so before you crank it up?
hopefully in the next week or so, i mainly just have to locate a second ram starter, i have a 1st gen starter but discovered yesterday that they are different, other than that, all i need to do is put fluid in the engine and trans, run the trans cooler and fuel lines, and finish installing the bellhousing bolts and converter bolts then i can crack it off

Old 03-18-2014, 12:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

All the tedious little stuff that goes along with an engine swap. Seems that is what takes the most time.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Rescue35
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetrucker75
got the engine mounted,

a shot of the turbo all mounted up, couldnt have worked out any better, and its in the exact position as a twin turbo ram so my options for my twin mounting are pretty much endless
Looking good!

With the turbo in that location will you be able to run a factory (or direct replacement) exhaust? I was considering using an aftermarket Ram 2500 6bt exhaust to run behind a 4bt. It's just a matter of getting the turbo in the right spot.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Rescue35
Looking good!

With the turbo in that location will you be able to run a factory (or direct replacement) exhaust? I was considering using an aftermarket Ram 2500 6bt exhaust to run behind a 4bt. It's just a matter of getting the turbo in the right spot.

thanks! if you ran the turbo like this as a single, the entire 6bt exhaust system would work with just a slight modification to the down pipe (just make it longer), as the manifold is upside down compared to the factory 6bt, but in all twin turbo applications, the manifold is fliped just like this one, and just about any twin turbo system will bolt up, (for the most part) even the exhaust, but im going to build my own twin piping, on a side note... on good ol ebay, you can get an entire 4'' turbo back exhaust for a ram for $230, and a 5'' for $340

Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

getting closer....

got all of the ecectrical done and tested last night except for extending and connecting the a/c clutch and pressure sensor connectors,

got the shift linkage, throttle, cruise, and TV cables all mounted up, but throttle bracket may require further modification as the injection pump as a very short and stiff throw, i think i might remove the and raise the bracket and extend the lever on the pump for a longer throw and less pedal effort,

all of the engine and trans mounts and hardware are in and tightened

still have quite a few small "loose ends" to tie up, but im picking away at them every chance i get before and after work, was hoping to drive it this weekend but due to an almost impossible schedual this week, i may have to postpone that thought for one more week

Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Rescue35
Professional

Thanks for the information.

Keep after it. You'll be driving before you know it.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

Any videos by chance, after she's all done? BTW sweet build, I'm always interested in people doing 4bt swaps. I wouldn't mind doing one myself but I don't have the time or resources to do one. So it's better off a dream.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Blue Mopar01
Any videos by chance, after she's all done? BTW sweet build, I'm always interested in people doing 4bt swaps. I wouldn't mind doing one myself but I don't have the time or resources to do one. So it's better off a dream.
you bet! and thanks

did a little more playing around last night, got the gauge pod mounted (pillar) got the intercooler and condenser mounted and all a/c lines connected, got the radiator all in position and the hoses figured out, was just about done with adjusting the fenders and the hood when my dumb a$$ shut the hood.... and remembered i didnt hook up the release cable, so that is the start of my project tonight, trying to get the hood open again

Old 03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Rescue35
Professional

You can go up through the bumper air slots (with normal sized arms) and reach the latch. Been there, done that. Worse case scenario...just pull the bumper off and maybe the grill.

Quick Reply: 4BT swap into 99 sport 1500