2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential Gear Oil Change Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:53 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll check it around noon tomorrow, the truck seems to handle turning better too lol, the gear oil didnt look horrible and it had been changed at one point. But I still changed it, there seemed to be a small sliver of metal on the bottom, but I noticed no issues otherwise, after adding the LSD and oil and driving it I also noticed that a moan that use to come from the rear end was gone :-), makes me wonder when they changed it if they had added the LSD additive.

Also would adding more than 4oz of additive hurt the differential? It called for 4, but I added like 6.

Last edited by JeremyMichael; 03-06-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:54 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

Filled it up at about 5PM today, it is now 12AM, and so far there is still no signs of a leak, I have a board underneath the axle and to make extra sure I run my hand across the board where the axle sat over and smell my hand, so far cannot smell any gear oil.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

As of noon today I haven't seen a leak, the board was dry, and I could not see any signs of leakage at the bottom of the differential, if there was a leak, I should be able to see some wetness on the unit where it would drip right?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

You are being too paranoid. Pay attention to it, but, don't obsess over it. Give it a few days. If it doesn't start leaking, you are golden.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:43 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

I can't help myself sometimes hahaha, I always worry too much, I will watch it over the next day or two and watch for a leak, I will cross my fingers that I don't have to do it all over >.<.

Quick Reply: Differential Gear Oil Change Question.