2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
topkin
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Spring Question

I was digging through old threads looking for reasons why my trans would shift harder after I replaced it with a Jasper Rebuild. I remembered durring instalation I had a difficult time remembering how this spring by the linkage was hooked up. After finding this pic Zman posted a few years ago I relized I had it sorta flipped over, so I hooked it back up according to this pic, took it for a drive, and shifts seem to be way smoother.

Name:  DSCF0608.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  119.0 KB

My question is what's the exact perpose of this spring? It looks to me like it keeps tension on the linkage. If the springs bound up or rubbing on somthing (as it was when I re-instaled it, now clear of any rubbing) will that cause some harder shifts?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:12 PM
topkin
Veteran

I've been looking around for even just the correct tecnical term for this spring. My wording on google serch is prolly making it difficult to find an explanation of this spring. sorry if this seems like an odd or dumb thread. I just figured if it did effect how the trans shifts then it is little mentioned in the 100s of threads pertaining to transmission questions.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Spring, Throttle Valve Return. Part number: 53009055

Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM
topkin
Veteran

Hey you thanks! That made my search soooooo much easier

Quick Reply: Trans Spring Question