2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Big block swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 PM
mccart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I had plans for the 408 and my buddy pointed this out to me that it probably wouldn't be too much more work to do the 440 and I was just wondering if anybody had done it and how complicated it would be.

I didn't say a injected motor would take 15 minutes to warm up and run right. I said a correctly tuned carb motor wouldn't take that long as stated above

Old 03-13-2014, 11:34 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What exactly is your budget? I don't see how you could possibly save any money or break even by going to a big block. You already have a 360 core right?

Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Since when do you have to let a fuel injected engine sit for 15 minutes when it is cold before you can drive it?
In Canada that's when

Old 03-14-2014, 01:32 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mccart
Yes I had plans for the 408 and my buddy pointed this out to me that it probably wouldn't be too much more work to do the 440 and I was just wondering if anybody had done it and how complicated it would be.

I didn't say a injected motor would take 15 minutes to warm up and run right. I said a correctly tuned carb motor wouldn't take that long as stated above
sounds like you should just leave your truck as it is because you don't know what your talking about. anything below 0*c(32*f) will require a carbed engine to run for at least 5 minutes before the truck will move without stalling and even then it will run like crap and want to stall every time you go to take off. it will take about 15 minutes for the carb to reach operating temp and allow the truck to run properly and these numbers are from a truck with electric fans. plus sticking a 440 in your truck would most likely move your truck into a modified pulling group if you ever decided to try your hand at truck pulls and the other trucks would make your truck look silly because they most likely have $10k+ in there engines.

this is just a 2nd gen body on a first gen frame.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mccart
Well the bell on my tranny is bolt on so that's not a problem. A correctly tuned carb motor won't have to sit for 15 minutes when it's cold and it won't do any worse on gas than a stroked out injected motor. My main thing is that I want something that I can run For the next couple years until this thing becomes a pulling truck and preferably not have to put another motor in it. There no performance out there for a v10 and I don't have to put 5 grand into a 440 to get 450-500 horse out of it, decked heads, the right cam, intake and carb will put out 450 alone.

Ok sorry I miss took what you were saying about the warming up part. But I also don't agree with you about a carb engine get as good of fuel mileage as a EFI engine.

Anytime you do something that isn't stock you're going to run into issues. Yes it is nice to be able to get on here and ask people if they have done this or that swap or whatever but if your having to ask HOW to do it then it might be a little past your skill level. It isn't the same thing as asking how to change a air or oil filer. Swapping in a engine that was never offered in this model mean YOU have to design and make all the stuff or find a place to buy it. I'll again ask why you don't want the EFI on the engine? It will require about the same amount of work to tune the EFI as it will to tune the carb. I'm an old fart and grew up on points in a distributor but I learn the new stuff when it came out. And I am no expert by any means.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:46 AM
mccart
Veteran

I was more asking if anybody had done it before. As far as the fuel injection goes, it's kind of a cost thing, being that I have about 4000 to spend on this motor/swap and that I just like having things simple with the least amount of things To go wrong, less electronics.

If I go 408 my plan is
-forged scat crank $800 (Hughes)
-forged I beam rods $280 (Hughes)
-10.2:1 icon forged step dish pistons $585 (Hughes)
-Odessa monster magnum heads $1050 (ebay)
-comp 224/230 .506/.506 110 cam $340 (hi potek)

Fuel injected
Edelbrock intake $700 (Hughes)
Big gulp throttle body $250 (Hughes)
Injectors $295 (Hughes)
Tune $500 (hemifever)
Autometer air/fuel gauge $270 (summit)

Carbureted
Edelbrock 750 CFM $320 (Hughes)
Edelbrock performer intake $240 (Hughes)
Msd ready to run pro billet distributor $350 (Hughes)
Blaster coil $40 (Hughes)

If I were to go 440
Running Motor $250
Adapter bellhousing $600 (Lakewood)
Go through it, oil pump, bearings and gaskets $300
Cam $250 (Hughes)
Intake $215 (Hughes)
Carb $300 (Hughes)
Msd ready to run billet distributor $380 (Hughes)
Blaster coil $40 (Hughes)
And whatever else to swap it

Old 03-17-2014, 03:09 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the efi intake for $485 and the wideband for $155. What is the 440 out of that you can get for $250?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:23 PM
dapepper9
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

old broken down motorhomes are a great source for big blocks, anybody else watch Roadkill or Dirt Every Day on Youtube?

Old 03-23-2014, 08:25 PM
mccart
Veteran

The motors I can get are from a local guy that has stacks of 440s in his shop that he has gotten over the years

Quick Reply: Big block swap