2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Big block swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
mccart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big block swap

I'm gonna be putting a motor in my truck soon, I had plans for a carbed 408 stroker motor to take the worn out 360's place. But I got to thinking today and thought that if I'm going to be putting a built carbed small block in it why not go with a nice carbed big block, putting out about the same power with less $ going into the actual motor. I know it'll take some fab work and stuff but other than that would it be very hard to do? To make the gauges work? I have a nv4500 and don't have to pass emissions. Lakewood sells a bell housing to bolt the 440 to my tranny but it uses the manual clutch originally used on the 440, is there a way to use my hydraulic clutch?

Has anybody on here done this before? I have the time to do this and I think I'd be better off this way, being that I haul a lot with my truck and use it like a truck I think id be better off with the big block. What would be better? Big small block or just go with the 440?

Old 03-13-2014, 12:32 AM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will be a lot of work. The 408 will be just as powerful. I think there is one guy on here that has done a 440 swap. You may have to put less money into the motor, but you will end up paying more from all the other things. The gauges won't all work just like with any carbed engine you can think of. If I where you I would rebuild your 360 into a fuel injected 408, and if you think the fuel injection will cost too much just rebuild the 360 with a cam and some other bolt ons.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:32 AM
mccart
Veteran

With the carb 408 i wouldn't have too many issues. I know the oil pressure and water temp will still work, I have an aftermarket tach, mechanical fuel gauge, volt meter should work, just have to get an external regulator. And I don't have a/c or cruise to mess with either. Idk the 440 sounds fun and would be one of a kind basically, I know it'd be a lot of work but if it would be worth it is the question

Old 03-13-2014, 11:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

If it is 'worth it' is entirely up to you. The engine mounts are wrong, it won't bolt to your bellhousing, and a host of other potential issues.

What year is your truck? (that info should really be in your profile/sig.)

Old 03-13-2014, 11:59 AM
mccart
Veteran

It's a 97 3/4 ton 5 speed, doesn't have to pass emissions. They sell an adapter bell for it. I put it in my sig but idk why it isn't showing up

Old 03-13-2014, 12:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

if you think your going to get more power out of a carb 440 or 408 than a fuel injected 408 you better keep dreaming. a stock fuel injected 360 would beat a stock 440 or carb 408. plus if you stick a carb on your truck it would make it suck as a daily driver especially in the winter. i got to let my carbed truck warm up for at least 15 minutes before driving in the cold. there is a reason most people have gone fuel injected.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the bell adapter requires you cutting the other bell off your transmission so if you screw up you will need to buy a new transmission.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

This is the only completed 440 swap in a 2nd gen ram that I know of. Lots of people have attempted it.

http://www.*********.com/forums/show...light=440+Swap

Personally, if I were to consider swapping in a big block it would be the fuel injected 488 v10. A lot less work then swapping in a carbed 440. I think it would be more hassle then its worth when you can stroke a fuel injected 360 to a 408 and have similar power if not more than a carbed 440. I don't personally see the benefits of swapping a fuel injected engine to a carbureted engine.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:12 PM
mccart
Veteran

Well the bell on my tranny is bolt on so that's not a problem. A correctly tuned carb motor won't have to sit for 15 minutes when it's cold and it won't do any worse on gas than a stroked out injected motor. My main thing is that I want something that I can run For the next couple years until this thing becomes a pulling truck and preferably not have to put another motor in it. There no performance out there for a v10 and I don't have to put 5 grand into a 440 to get 450-500 horse out of it, decked heads, the right cam, intake and carb will put out 450 alone.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

mccart,
I am not trying to start something but some of your statements just don't make any sense!! Since when do you have to let a fuel injected engine sit for 15 minutes when it is cold before you can drive it? In my experience it would be the other way around. Even when properly tuned I've had carbed rigs that wouldn't drive well until warmed up.

Again it is your truck and you can do what you want with it. But you seem to be all over the map here. First it is a carbureted 408 and now it is a big block engine swap. Make up your mind and we will all try to help you out.

Quick Reply: Big block swap