2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Nope. Only parts that actually hold the suspension in place.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM
97dakota237
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what could it be my ball joints are good my wheel bearings are good an. My tie rods and my trac bar

Old 03-17-2014, 10:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Need to do a THOROUGH inspection. have a friend help. See what moves, when it shouldn't, and doesn't move, when it should.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:28 AM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If those are all good, I suggest the Steering Gear. I replaced all the ball joints, hub assembly, what not.. still had an issue.. One morning I started to drive to town, and my gear shattered. Locked up.. Couldn't get it out the drive way. I had it replaced, and my truck's steering is amazing now! NEVER drove this good, and no more wobble issue. That gear would bind, cause my truck to feel like it would dive into corners, never held a straight line, always pulled left and then right.. Was a major pain. If that is good, a bad alignment will also cause problems

Old 03-22-2014, 10:12 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had bad death wobble when going about 50+ around turns if I hit a bump. I was told by many on this forum that the steering stabilizer was never the problem. SO, I had the track bar tie rods and upper/lower ball joints replaced. STILL had the death wobble. Then I replaced the shocks. STILL had the death wobble. Then I got 4 new tires (Since everyone on this forum said it was probably the tires since the steering stabilizer can never be the problem. STILL HAD WOBBLE. Then I "replaced" the steering stabilizer (The thing the mechanic recommended in the first place). I put quotes there because I had put on a rancho stabilizer the year prior. WELL, the rancho stabilizer was crap and I put the stock one back on. The stock one is VERY stiff. So go with stock, not aftermarket.

Death wobble cured.

However, I think the steering gear is on its way out or it was adjusted too much when my steering pump was replaced. There is no slop in my steering so if I hit a bump and my hand moves the wheel just a tad, it gives slight bump steer.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:01 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP do you have any aftermarket leveling spacers? That could be the cause there, to much stress on track bar causing it to go bad real fast. Id check ALL the ball joints, both hub bearings, track bar, bloody everything real thorough! You shouldnt even need a steering stabilizer IMO, its def not the cause IMO.

Quick Reply: death wobble