2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram 1500 with oil leaking from top of head/bottom of valve cover.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM
kschultz82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ram 1500 with oil leaking from top of head/bottom of valve cover.

Im hoping someone else has had this issue and can give me some help. Just the other day I get under my truck to do an oil change. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with 5.2L Magnum. While Im laying under the truck I noticed a light coating of oil on the undercarriage. Im talking oil as far back as the transmission pan, but only a fine coating. As I continue the oil change I noticed it stopped draining quicker then usual, and I was about 2 quarts too low. I hadn't checked the oil in a little while due to the bad weather we've been having, but the truck shows no issues. No oil light, oil pressure is normal, and temperature is running normal.

As I traced the leak back up the engine I noticed oil coming from around the top of the engine head on the passenger side, driver side didn't have a drop on the block. Then I noticed one drop of antifreeze mixed with the oil on the side of the block. My question is, has anyone had this happen, if so what was the cause? If no one has had this experience, Im trying to determine if its a head gasket leak, valve cover leak, or intake manifold leak. I have most auto tools at my discretion and have a decent bit of experience in fixing engines, although its been about 12years since Ive pulled a block and done some serious work on something. Any input is much appreciated.

Old 03-28-2014, 10:19 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your seeing some oil with a little antifreeze in it, then it sounds like you have a head gasket that's going bad.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:16 AM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked to make sure valve cover isn't loose. It's amazing how far oil will spread when driving at highway speeds. A front crank seal leak will spread oil all the way back to transmission....possibly two external leaks mixing together?

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram 1500 with oil leaking from top of head/bottom of valve cover.