2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Random stumble at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 02:42 AM
Black02CrCb
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having a no start issue now, and seriously rough idle a few weeks ago. If it is the crankshaft position sensor, take a small hammer or something and hit the sensor with it while the engine is running. IF it shuts off this is your culprit. Also you can tweak the wires to the CPS and it could do this without tapping on the sensor. I looked and Autozone has em for around $70.00.

Let us know what you find out man.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Black02CrCb
Having a no start issue now, and seriously rough idle a few weeks ago. If it is the crankshaft position sensor, take a small hammer or something and hit the sensor with it while the engine is running. IF it shuts off this is your culprit. Also you can tweak the wires to the CPS and it could do this without tapping on the sensor. I looked and Autozone has em for around $70.00.

Let us know what you find out man.
I've never heard of that trick for the crankshaft position sensor on these trucks. It sounds like the MAF sensor trick on older cars, you could tap on them with the handle of a screwdriver or something and if the idle jumped around like the car had anxiety then it was the source of your idle problem.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
I've never heard of that trick for the crankshaft position sensor on these trucks. It sounds like the MAF sensor trick on older cars, you could tap on them with the handle of a screwdriver or something and if the idle jumped around like the car had anxiety then it was the source of your idle problem.
Yeah, that's what I learned as well.

Crank Position sensor is a Hall-effect switch. So, beating on it will only have an effect if there is a marginal electrical connection somewhere.... Unless you hit it hard enough it contacts the flywheel. Then you are just done.

Old 01-23-2017, 06:04 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coil?

Old 01-23-2017, 06:44 PM
Novarider
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had time to look at it further hopefully I can Wednesday.

Quick Reply: Random stumble at idle