2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent cranking problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 PM
blue02ram4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent cranking problem.

This actually started several months ago. I would go out in the morning to leave for work and the starter would just click. Sometimes it would finally crank after 3 or 4 trys and other times it wouldnt go, but yet I could come back home from work and it would crank like nothing was wrong with it. Then it started to do it more often. I checked voltage i was getting both 12v from the battery and 12 volts on the signal wire. So I pulled the starter off, took it to o'reillys and had them test it and it never acted up with them. Bolted it back up, didn't have a problem for several months until yesterday when it started doing it again. I'm having to cycle the key several times, pretty much everytime I get in it, before it will finally crank. Any ideas? I would just put a starter on it but I want to be 100% sure before I do(a little broke at the moment)

Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,964 Posts

Replace the starter. Solenoid is going bad. Taking it off probably jostled it enough to convince it to work for a while longer. Just a matter of time before it fails completely.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Davedacarpainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to HeyYou.

Quick Reply: Intermittent cranking problem.