2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake lines and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:37 AM
BlindU
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, its a cheap $20 one from amazon, and the worst part is... they sent me a metric when I bought an SAE.

i ended up cheating, and ordered a whole prebent set from finelinesinc.com. total was $204, and it includes SS lines for every metal line on the truck. I just get the lines, and mount them.

i'll save the SS line for my 61 mercedes that i have... That will need new lines anyways.

Now I can at least focus on the headliner for the truck....

OH and reminds me.. wheel wells. Im in need of those damn plastic nuts for them. and having the hardest time finding a proper one.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Go to a body shop. They will have something that will work.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:51 AM
BlindU
Rookie

in case someone searches for this, links where I found this kit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9801-RAM-150...-/251522200430

and

http://www.finelinesinc.com/brake-lines

I bought the 96 kit, since the 98-01 are different.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:36 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

The pre-bent lines make that job easy. Just be aware that when you install them, you will have to really be sure to tighten and re-check each fitting for leaks. I found that the stainless lines are very hard and require the lines to be tightened more than I expected to get them to stop leaking.

When flaring youe stainless lines (or any steel brake lines for that matter), be sure to pickup a double-flaring kit. You can pick one up locally at Harbor Freight

Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 PM
BlindU
Rookie

so just to update this... i installed the lines, after about a week of fighting with everything..

found the lines to be excellent! didn't require any more bending, besides some slight hand bending to get them to line up.

braking feels the same really, i don't know why that is. but i have a feeling i won't feel a difference until i replace the rubber lines with SS ones too.... but thats later

Old 05-26-2014, 10:54 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 340 Likes on 321 Posts

Your brakes should not feel spongy at all. If so, likely still have a bit of air in the system. Be sure to bleed the passenger side rear first, then the driver's side rear, then passenger side front, then driver's side front. I use DOT4 rated fluid. Also, be sure to double-check all of the threaded connections of your stainless steel hard lines - I had issues getting my stainless hard lines to fully seal since stainless is some pretty hard material and took more tightening torque than the mild steel brake lines.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:51 AM
BlindU
Rookie

its not that they feel spongy, its more that the brake pedal feels really light until the halfway.

it definitely stops, but its hard to judge how well you stop when you are sitting higher up.

i have to call the company, one line they sent me had the fittings put on the wrong ends, so once i replace that one, ill go ahead and bleed the system out again.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Excessive pedal travel is either air in the system, or, rear brakes need adjustment.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:58 PM
BlindU
Rookie

well, looking at the truck after driving it briefly today, noticed that the brand new MC i bought is leaking at the seal where the old one was leaking, and i need to retighten some nuts as well.

how do you go about adjusting your rear brake? Just want to make sure all is covered...

Old 05-27-2014, 07:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

On the back side of the backing plate, on the bottom, there is a little slot you can stick a screwdriver into, and turn the star-wheel feller. You want your shoes to just BARELY rub the drum. Careful though, trying to back it off if you go to far is a right pain in the.

Quick Reply: brake lines and shocks