2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

White smoke at start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:12 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White smoke at start up

Hey guys... me again!

After I changed the spark plugs and adjusted the TV cable, I started my truck and lost the parking lot in thick white smoke. Smelled real strong of exhaust, not the sweet smell of coolant. After maybe 1/2 a mile it was ok, and today, after sitting since last night, did the same thing this morning, and again at lunch after sitting for 5-6 hours.

What's this new thing now???

Again on the 94 2500 5.9 gasser

Old 05-21-2014, 05:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Blown head gasket, or cracked head. Get a test kit from the parts store. (for combustion gases in coolant) My bet is, it tests positive.

Quick test: When the engine is stone cold, squeeze the upper radiator hose, should be pretty soft. Start the engine, check the hose again. If it is rock solid, you just found your problem.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Thanx... will do.

But I had a blown head gasket before, and the smoke was pretty much the same but had the sweet smell to it. and it was smoking all the time.

I checked my oil, witch is pretty old, about 5000 miles, and no sign of syrupy sludgy coolant in oil mix. Coolant was at the same level, too. Same spot in bottle, same spot in rad.

Just did the coolant hose trick, with the engine sitting for the last 3 hours, and it stayed soft. Will try it again in the morning.

I seen that an injector dumping gas would do this, too... Ever heard of it??

Thanx for all your help BTW!!

Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

White smoke is water of some variety. Usually coolant. (unless it is REALLY humid where you are, and you have large temp changes at night.) Fuel would be black smoke.

Did you replace your heads? Have them checked? Any work done on them?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Yeah I'm with you on the white smoke...

No major change in humidity here....

Never opened that engine, not even a pressure test. Did plenum twice, last time about 7 years ago or so.

I'm just shocked that I started it minutes before changing the plugs, everything was fine and dandy, and started after the plug change to have this. And again, no drop in coolant level....

ONLY thing I can think of, (other than a blown gasket or cracked head) , is that I sprayed a bit of release-all on the TPS bolts, and IAC to get em off, and may have misted inside the TB... but I'm guessing after 50 miles round trip to work it would have burned off by now.....

Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What did you plugs look like when you pulled them out?

This just started after you changed the plugs? Or has it been doing it previously?

Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

They didn't look so bad... a little brownish-beige, but all in all they seemed ok.

No it never did this even minutes before the plug change.... just right after when I started it to see if everything was ok.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Coincidence?

That is rather strange...... didn't leave your back turned for too long, and someone put water in the engine/gas tank?

Could sample the fuel at the rail, and see what it looks like. Disconnect the fuel line at the rail, point it into a glass (or clear plastic, whatever.) jar, and have someone else cycle the key a couple times. Set the container down somewhere, and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, and see if there is any water settling out.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:50 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Sorry for the late reply, it's been very busy around here ....

Ok I went out and bought a ''block tester'' bottle. Did the test, liquid remained blue, so no gases in the coolant. I'll put this on the win side

I realized this week when my helper moved the truck that the smoke was actually bluish.... I saw it white from the cab, but on the outside it's got a blue tint to it..

Sooooooo... after monitoring the coolant for a week, I see no loss. Level stayed the same and I drove about 600km (400 miles) this week. Oil is still prestone free.

Other thing I noticed, if I let the truck idle 5 minutes before I leave, I don't get the smoke cloud... weird. If I start it and drive off immediately, it will smoke like crazy for about a mile, then back to normal leaking plenum oil smoke.

I have no idea at this point.....

Old 05-31-2014, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Valve seals are bad.

Quick Reply: White smoke at start up