2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 05:11 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS install

I made a mistake installing the VSS. I never removed the Speedometer adaptor and never mated the speedometer pinion. So, I never indexed the adaptor. I wonder if the noise i hear before stalling is the Speedometer pinion spinning freely in the Adapter housing. On the plus side, I am getting proper reference voltage on the 3 wires that feed the VSS. I also succesfully replaced the wiper fluid container and ran lines to the windshield spray nozzles.
The repair of the VSS and adapter are going to have to wait for another day. I think getting a lift or some heavy duty jack stands is a very necessary piece of draining transmission and replacing the filter.
I've got 6 acres of grass that needs to be mown and its getting into the 90's already.
I wish there was a quick fix to the whole VSS/Speedometer Adapter / Speedometer pinion problem. I love a challenge but this Ram 1500 6cyl. 3.9L 2WD is kicking my backside. Easier way than draing fluid? A plug of some specific size?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default DIY VSS available?

Hello,
Is there a DIY for replacing the VSS and associated parts. I'm not sure about mating the VSS shaft with the speedometer pinions shaft. Also I'm unsure of how the speedometer pinion gear sets properly to its mating gear inside the transmission. I think I'm ok on indexing the speedometer body.
Is this a job for a certified mechanic? Or is easy to get things lined up in the tight confines of the transmission housing.
Thank you.
Torx Durley

Old 05-23-2014, 07:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,268 Likes on 3,015 Posts

Yeah, give us a pic of the old one. (that'll give me an idea of what you are dealing with. I haven't touched mine... it still works.)

Old 05-25-2014, 06:33 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default VSS Photo

Here is a picture from service manual. I hope!

Attached Thumbnails 96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work-wp_20140525_004.jpg  
Old 05-25-2014, 06:51 PM
torxdurley
Rookie

If you can see the picture at all in the previous post. Im working with a Windows Phone that hates to upload photos.
I replaced only the VSS on the left. My questiogn is about the Speedometer Pinion on the right. Does the pinions gear stay in when I remove the speedometer adapter ?
Or does it become part of the whole VSS-Speedometer adapter assembly? The speedometer adapter rotates to set the indexing based on the number of teeth on the speedometer pinion? I would assume that the VSS couples with the speedometer pinion.
I only replaced the VSS itself. My thought was that the speedometer adapter would stay indexed and that the VSS would mate fine.
I have the proper voltages on the VSS connectors.
Am I going to have to drain the transmission and pull the whole assembly. How will I be sure that the speedometer pinion will be able to be repositioned so that it hits it's correct gear.? The local parts stores do not offer a speedometer adapter.
Also, could there be another reason why the speedometer isn;t working?
I may quickly put the old sensor back in place without draining the transmission and spin theshaft on the VSS to see if the speedometer moves. The odometer and trip mileage indicators work just fine.
Confused.
What ever happened to a good ole cable?

Old 05-25-2014, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gear should come out with the adapter.

If the odometer and trip meter are working, that means the VSS is doing its job. Speedo problem is apparently in the cluster.

If your scanner can read real time data, monitor vehicle speed, and see what ya get.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, trip, and odo, are simply part of the speedo, and use the same sensor signal. Yeah, I think you have a cluster issue.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Talking

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gear should come out with the adapter.

If the odometer and trip meter are working, that means the VSS is doing its job. Speedo problem is apparently in the cluster.

If your scanner can read real time data, monitor vehicle speed, and see what ya get.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, trip, and odo, are simply part of the speedo, and use the same sensor signal. Yeah, I think you have a cluster issue.
My scanner has a VSS monitor and it reads speeds correctly. I'm not sure if it's using GPS data to read speed because it shows 3mph when o back up slowly. I guess I'm back to trying to figure out the stallng hard start issue. I may try to just run it fairly hard to see if possibly contaminated fuel from sitting for 8 years may be the culprit. Any ideas are appreciated.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Sitting for 8 years.... IS going to cause some trouble. May try running premium gas in it for a couple tanks, along with some fuel injector cleaner..... Of course, before doing that, may not hurt to drop the tank, clean it out good, and put in some fresh gas.

Have you checked fuel pressure?

Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Fuel problems

I haven't rented a fuel pressure guage yet. It runs well for 5-15 minutes. I would think a fuel pump problem wouldn't be so intermittent. I put 89 octane -27 gallons and the prescribed amount of fuel stabil in the tank. I can't drive it far or long enough to use any fuel up. I may just get on the interstate and drive about 65mph for as long as possible to try to burn some fuel and let the new fuel work its way through the system. Of course I'll have a chase car.
Does the dealership have better diagnostic tools or will they be replacing parts until they get it right?
Also, how difficult is it to drop the tank and replace the whole pump and associated parts,?

I have a feeling that that's the first thing the dealers shop will do.

Last edited by torxdurley; 05-26-2014 at 12:31 AM. Reason: misvspell
Old 05-26-2014, 12:30 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Fuel Pressure

I will rent a fuel pressure sensor tomorrow or Tuesday after I run about 150 miles or more with the overdrive off.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work