2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work

Help!!;
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 Magnum V6 3.9L with 78000 miles.
I replaced the VSS yesterday. I had to go pretty fast because transmission fluid started coming out when I pulled the old one.
I let the PCM learn by disconnecting both posts on the battery (before I changed the VSS). Re-connected the battery, turned key to on position, gave a slow count to ten. Then started the truck. Speedometer still doesn't work. Are their fuses or other modules that could cause this or could my quick swap have caused an issue?
.Thanks,
Torx

Old 05-21-2014, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Need to look at the gear on the inside of the trans then. (sorry....) May not be a bad time to change your filter and fluid too......

Also, the VSS is indexed for different gears.... is you don't have it indexed correctly, the driven gear won't even be touching the drive gear.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 PM
torxdurley
Rookie

The tranny was flushed and transmission pan gasket replaced 15,000 miles ago.
I'm betting that the indexing is the problem.
Can I remove it, and spin the little rod to see if the speedometer moves?
The BDC I bought has a different connector so it came with a pigtail connector that I had to crimp onto existing wires. I used crimp butt splices and even used shrink wrap to cover mu crimp job.
I wonder if BDW parts from Germany are good replacements. All the non AutoZone shops have BWD parts as their premium brands. I'm not going to stress about the speedometer at this point. I can use my new wireless scanner tool to see speed and fuel mixture and any real time data that a 96 Dodge has to offer.
Thanks for your reply!
I'm wondering if I can remove the new VSS and spin the rod and move the speedometer?

Old 05-22-2014, 10:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Should be able to. That is how it works after all. (might be easier to have someone else watch the speedo though....)

Make sure you are getting your 5 volt supply to the sensor as well.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:16 AM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be able to spin the vss and have speed show on the speedo yes. providing the ingition is on. also i would check the output shoft gear and see if maybe the gear are filled with crude also check alignment bc sometime these will not align correct and not contact the output shaft. also if your old one was bad it should actually cause the truck to run funny or stall bc it doesnt know if the truck is moving was this the case?? also is the truck 4x4 or 2x4 it will make a differance in the wiring and the sensor. i would also check the speed sensor on the ring gear in the rear end. your model may use that for a speed sensor i know someof them did and some didnt it depended on the time of year it was manufactored.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Redundant reply

This page intentionally left blank.

Last edited by torxdurley; 05-22-2014 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Double posting
Old 05-22-2014, 06:54 PM
torxdurley
Rookie

It's a 2wd and is having stall, won't start till cool, won't idle sometimes. Especially the stall/won't start after 10-15 miles problem. The part I purchased is a BWD. Only game in town besides AutoZone brand. The BWD didn't have any indexing marks on the VSS. Would an non-indexed VSS cause these problems?
After it stalls, I can press accelerator to the floor and it will usually start. Then I hear a strange whirring rattle noise from under the cab, then the truck dies instantly. Its sat up for 8 years and has 78,000 miles and a new IAC and spotless Throttle body. I have 2 other posts that have more information about the ghost in my machine.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think you have more than one issue there. Fix the speedo first, then see what's left.

Can you post a pic of the part you bought?

Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 AM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Sorry

The parts already installed. I still have the old part.Would you like a pic of it installed or a pic of the old one?

Last edited by torxdurley; 05-23-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:01 AM
torxdurley
Rookie

I may uninstall the BWD part after I drain the transmission. I understand that you need to remove the body it fits into as well.

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 1500 speedometer doesn't work