2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My Tranny Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Tranny Thread

So instead of posting threads each time i do something or have a problem i would like to keep them all here as i have a few things Hope thats ok.

Background info:

I received this truck for less than scrap of a co-worker as something to tinker on and give a little TLC too. I love dodge trucks and also need one for a few things like hauling my dogs to the park etc... And moving things. I lease a car so that doesn't allow me to do those things very easily. The truck is a 1999 Sport 5.9L 4x4 And ran ok upon receiving the truck, and i knew it needed love. Has lots of rust which i will eventually work on after mechanical is solid. Miles are around 238k but it all works fairly well and I'm happy with what i got.

1st Issue: After getting the truck (i was aware of this potential problem) I noticed i made some weird noise, sounds accelerating on the freeway around 60-70mph with overdrive on. So i tested with OD off and that seemed to fix the issue. After searching the FAQ I'm almost certain the OD clutch is going/shot etc.. It seems to fine at 55 or less mph though?

2nd Issue: After realizing issues 1, another popped up. After testing it seemed that while still cold it had a hard time shifting from 1>2 or not wanting to shift at all until warmed up.

Work done:

So far being its miles and I'm sure its been lacking in maintenance i decided where it would fix problem 2 or not i was going to drop the pan and change the filter. Mind you fluid levels were good, but after removing i noticed filter and fluid was shot. So i ended up adding 6 quarts ATF+4 and a new filter and new gasket. And after a few road tests, both warm and cold operation the 1st gear issue seems to have been fixed and shifting is a lot smoother overall 1>4

Follow up issues:

Well as most experience I'm having issues getting the new gasket and pan to seal up good. I got the gasket on aligned pretty good in my opinion and torqued to 13 ft/lbs in an even manner and the first leak that appeared was in the front side of the pan between 2 bolts which i was able to fix by tightening a loose bolt. After i got home and parked it another leak started on the back pass corner of the pan and all the bolts are tight and the leak is on there corner where i can't really do anything but hope it seats itself? Any suggestions for this?

Next this is what i found in the bottom of the pan and it has me thinking it might be related to problem 1 which is OD and the 4th gear noise. Here is a pic, thoughts?

Name:  IMG_20140524_191553_tranny_zpsbc4e2656.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  47.7 KB

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advanced

Old 05-24-2014, 10:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

That stuff is the noise you get in overdrive. That is parts of a snap ring that hold the O/D unit together. Generally, that is a prelude to it failing completely. (of course, there are also folks that drove another 50K miles without any trouble... just depends on how lucky you are. )

Some folks have had success with just rebuilding the O/D unit. You can remove it without dropping the trans. (I am pretty sure. No experience there....) Or, you could toss in another trans, as with over 200k, it is just a matter of time. (and probably not much at that....) Lots of options there. Just depends on how much ya wanna spend.

Probably wouldn't hurt to change the fluid/filter in the trans again in about 1000 miles, and be sure to do a band adjustment while you are in there again.

And when you have the pan off, make sure the sealing surface is flat, and not dimpled around the bolt holes. You can just use a 2x4 and a hammer to flatten it out again.

Make sure to use the (more expensive) rubber gasket for the trans pan. It seals better, and stays in place better, and if you are real lucky, its re-usable.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Thanks a lot man. Plan was to just use my work to save on labor and pull the trans myself and buy the rebuild kit and have a trusted shop do a rebuild. Think that is a solid idea?

I drive it with OD off so you think I'm ok for the time being as far as damage and failing stuff goes? Also the gasket that came with my filter seemed like a good quality rubber one so hopefully i can re-use it otherwise ill get the same one with the next filter. My problem is its leaking kinda good at the moment, so maybe on that corner i can try a 2x4 and hammer to bend it a tad for the time being?

Last my feeling i that the 2 leaks, and the latter of the two are because of an un even pan surface, around all the holes was good but some areas do seem to be possibly bent a tad.

Thanks a ton!

Old 05-24-2014, 10:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ever consider rebuilding it yourself? Several members here have done so, and they had never been inside a trans before. Only tricky part is the huge spring in the o/d unit. Need a press for that. Otherwise, find a shop that folks have good things to say about them, and have a chat with them. See what they charge for parts/labor, and if they do any improvements with their rebuilds. If you want to attempt to do it yourself, see if you can't find a rebuildable core in a junkyard somewhere, or on craigslist. Any 46RE out of a 96-99 4x4 will work. 00 and up, the electronics are a bit different.... There is a host of resources available for just such an occasion. (see the Trans thread by J415 in the DIY section. )

You should be ok if you don't use O/D. There is a DIY in the DIY section here, to have the O/D default to Off when you start the truck, instead of having to turn it off each time. If most of your driving is below 45 mile per hour anyway, not a bad idea.

You can try the hammer and 2x4 trick. Worst thing that will happen is it won't work. Next time, when you are getting ready to drop the pan, install a drain plug as well. Makes this job MUCH easier. Well, less messy in any event.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Thanks a ton, you have provided me with lots of info.

I did read the tranny threads and the rebuild one, so i would probably attempt it on a core from the junk yard. Yard by me has about 9 ram all 95-99 so should be able to find one.

And i did see the invert OD thread so ill prob do that so i don't have to hit the button each time. And the drain plug is probably a solid thing to do. Gonna hammer the pan in the morning and hope for the best.

Old 05-24-2014, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Good Luck.

If you decide to do the rebuild yourself, keep in mind, we want PICS!!! of the process. Write up wouldn't be bad either, but, the pics are far more important. (you know how we are......)

Old 05-24-2014, 11:03 PM
topkin
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can remove it without dropping the trans. (I am pretty sure. No experience there....).
Yep, but what i cam across was it being difficult to find a rebuilt or the parts to rebuild in my areas, so ended up just replacing the whole trans.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Are there any videos or threads on rebuilding OD clutch while the tranny is still in? Assuming I can find all the parts... Im still planning on grabbing a good looking tranny from the yard to possibly rebuild my self that way if its not 100% I still have the original in the truck. I will have to check when I get home but I think the last pan leak set itself so hopefully its don't dripping :/. I know the more the truck started being driven other leaks have started. Transfer case, also either oil pan or rear main. Need to de grease it all to spot exactly.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just the tail ends of the assorted rebuild walk-thru's. They all deal with the O/D unit as well. Just find the right spot, and go thru it. Service manual would have some good info as well.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:13 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Thanks will look around.

Quick Reply: My Tranny Thread