2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fan removal process

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 08:12 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Didn't have a problem removing the fan with shroud on mine.
Interesting.

I've tried every which way, if the water pump wasn't there it wouldn't be hard.

How'd you do it?

Old 05-25-2014, 08:25 PM
T-Ram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back when I worked on heavy equipment my service truck ran a direct drive fan (bypassed clutch) and I had a monster electric fan for extra cooling when idling for long periods-I really don't see how much benefit would come from removing the Fan/Clutch Assembly-However adding an electric fan as back up to the clutch / and for conditions where it can help as in towing or extended idling etc. I can see installing the e fan-(((side question here--why wont my smilies work anymore?)))

Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I had a fan clutch go bad under warranty so I didn't actually do it. The mechanic had the fan off before I got done talking to shop manager. I went out and watched him switch the fan blades and he just spun the new clutch assembly back on the water pump, while we were talking. The shroud was on the whole time, maybe 20 minutes It didn't look like he had any difficulty getting it back on. Maybe there is more room on 2wd standard cab?

Old 05-25-2014, 09:00 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ReadRam
I had a fan clutch go bad under warranty so I didn't actually do it. The mechanic had the fan off before I got done talking to shop manager. I went out and watched him switch the fan blades and he just spun the new clutch assembly back on the water pump, while we were talking. The shroud was on the whole time, maybe 20 minutes It didn't look like he had any difficulty getting it back on. Maybe there is more room on 2wd standard cab?
I dunno.

The fan blades are inside the shroud, and there just isn't enough room with the water pump on to get it out.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

After doing it a few hundred times, the mechanic had more than likely learned a trick or three.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
After doing it a few hundred times, the mechanic had more than likely learned a trick or three.
Yeh, he's got 30+ years, but it looked rather easy if you play with nuts and bolts.

Quick Reply: Fan removal process