2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a few questions answered

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
I wouldn't recommend a hitch receiver on the front at all. You're a welder (as you say), so make something that will hold the winch up front. Based on your wheeling target (which sounds mild to me), you won't ever need it for the rear. Not that I'm something to compare, but no one here (that I have seen) has reported use for one in the rear...

No, there is one person and he posted pictures. However, he hasn't been around in months. I recall he is in northeast...perhaps canada. He built his front bumper. He used the rear winch to recover a friend out of deep deep water hole. Not much else was said or shown. I can't remember his username so that it could be found.

Edit: Pacmanloads: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...cmanloads.html

Old 05-27-2014, 12:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
What are you talking about HeyYou? There is no actual "truss" structure on the front ORE axle. The housing on the lower side is just larger ribbing. It was casted that way.

it's really difficult to provide the OP with some direction. At least we know he's targeting 35" tires and aside from lift, the drivetrain is more than ready for it.

What have you done suspension wise or thinking?

To understand the things to consider for your pocketbook, it's more meaningful to know your general location and thus type of trails/wheeling you do or hope to do. A couple of us here have a wide mix on that.

As HamBone said, I'm still running my stock ORE axles (open front and rear LSD; 4.10s). Only thing replaced are the front axleshaft ujoints. Driverside started crying the crunch sounds of lost needles and being dry for some reason. Terrain and driving style (mostly) is what has kept me intact. Some people have worse luck. Wheel spin is your enemy no matter what!

The cost to larger is variable. Dependent on location, region you are in.

Yes, you can get chromoly shafts for front and rear. It's not a poor choice at all considering where you are at with the drivetrain and the inference made from the little trail riding experience described.

I wouldn't recommend a hitch receiver on the front at all. You're a welder (as you say), so make something that will hold the winch up front. Based on your wheeling target (which sounds mild to me), you won't ever need it for the rear. Not that I'm something to compare, but no one here (that I have seen) has reported use for one in the rear...

Lugging the winch around will get old fast! Dealing with it being secured will be a PITA. Needing it when you forget it at home will not be cool.

How about some pictures of your ride and places it's been having fun? That will help some of us give you some other things to consider. Feel free to disregard any of my comments too!!
Ah, I wasn't aware that the ORE axle was simply a heavier casting. Thanks. Bet they are rare as hens teeth in the yards as well....

Yes, the winch is heavy..... but, permanently mounting it, and carrying it around, when you will have no use for it 90% of the time..... being able to remove it has its appeal. Can always just stick it on up front before you hit the trail. (I have no real desire to carry around a 100+ pound winch/mount when I am in two feet of water/mud.)

Old 05-27-2014, 01:28 PM
Jakob_E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Minnesota so as for terrain mostly logging roads and the local offroad parks which require a front recovery point. Since I live in apartment and have no access to an area to fabricate I need something I can buy rather than build. Plus I like the idea of not dragging around a winch when not necessary. I'm going to leave my stock axles till something goes boom

Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Jakob_E

I live in Minnesota so as for terrain mostly logging roads and the local offroad parks which require a front recovery point. Since I live in apartment and have no access to an area to fabricate I need something I can buy rather than build. Plus I like the idea of not dragging around a winch when not necessary. I'm going to leave my stock axles till something goes boom I'm just trying to see what direction you guys have gone. Also I just have a leveling kit and blocks for the rear so essential a stock suspension travel wise. Are there any good ways to get the rear brake lines up and out of the way mine seem to hang down from the axle tube

Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Brake lines are supposed to run along the top of the tubes, or, along the back side.... did someone install new lines that were a bit too long?

Old 05-27-2014, 11:23 PM
Jakob_E

well i took a closer look at what i thought was hanging down runs only on one side of the truck and only runs to one brake drum. i snapped a photo of it and ill try to attach it. I think it might be an emergency brake line? Once I save up a some money i was thinking about a truetrac in the front axle. since it sounds like i can get away with the axles for the time being. Wh1tenukle iv read your build thread and watched some of your videos, and I feel like you spend way more time in the rocks then I would be and also riding little more aggressive trails then im planning. attached is the photo.

Last edited by Jakob_E; 05-28-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes that is your ebrake cable.

Good thing to get a reference on your type of desired wheeling.

HeyYou...you'd be the first to not have use for that removable winch 100% of the time.

Quick Reply: I need a few questions answered