2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To fix or not coolant gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:06 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the old seal, I had a PVC pipe cap laying around that fit quite nicely... Believe it was a 3 inch cap? Set it on the seal, then got out the BFH. Bye bye seal.

I, too, went 4* advanced. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't. I'd keep it stock. I did not notice enough of an improvement to warrant that change, and if I want to do anything else down the road, I'll have to take that advance into account.

So what sort of imperfections are you seeing? The cover is aluminum, so there shouldn't be corrosion, I wouldn't think. A picture would be helpful.

Btw, since you're this far into it.... Fixed your plenum yet?

Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 AM
00sidekick00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've got the Hughes sitting in a box in the living room trying to decide which truck it gets to call home. i'll see if i can figure out how to load pictures but be warned that could be a flood gate lol.
idk if i can get a hold of a pvc cap tomorrow being Sunday and all but that is a good idea.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you still have the cover off, just knock the old seal out with a hammer and screwdriver. (it drives out the front of the cover.) If you have the cover installed, then just use the screwdriver to pry it out. It will destroy the seal, but, not like you want to re-use it.

That's erosion on the cover.... I was generous with the RTV when I put it back together, and it's holding fine. (a couple years later.)

Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you still have the cover off, just knock the old seal out with a hammer and screwdriver. (it drives out the front of the cover.) If you have the cover installed, then just use the screwdriver to pry it out. It will destroy the seal, but, not like you want to re-use it.

That's erosion on the cover.... I was generous with the RTV when I put it back together, and it's holding fine. (a couple years later.)
+1.

I only used the cap because it was handy and the right size (almost). It took quite a few swings with the BFH- mine was really wedged in there. Don't be gentle.

My cover was very clean on all the gasket surfaces, minimal RTV needed. I also have a 01- if yours is older, it may be more pitted, I suppose.

Quick Reply: To fix or not coolant gasket