2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ram headlight circuits????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ram headlight circuits????

this is the biggest electrical disaster i have ever delt with, and wondering if anyone has disected one before and got a for sure understanding.

for starters this was a sport (quad beam) that someone else molested after they wrecked it and tried to convert it to non sport lights, and i decided to try to stick with the non sport lights as i like the look a little better

i could never get any low beams to work at all, after tracing wires and schmatics, i found a bad dimmer switch to be the issue, and installed a jumper in the coloum harness to bypass that issue for now,

with that and the factory sport 9007 bulbs, everything worked as it should and i modified the non sport housings to accept the 9007 as they were junk anyway (the quad beam bulb harness just disconected and not being used now)

now i installed the new one piece, non sport housings, and trying to use the the required 9004 bulbs, witch are wired differently than the 9007

heres where it gets fun.... dodge is using ground on the switch circuits, so the bulbs are being fed a constant 12v (into what would normally be the ground pin on the bulb) and then grounds either the high or low beam side to activate the element

so i pulled up the pin outs for the 2 different bulbs and switched the wires in the plug to the correct orientation, and now i have very dim low beams and highbeams that look like sunlight.... thats where i left off frustrated

now i study the schematics more and it shows the sport wiring to 100% correct with the 9007 bulbs, but the non sport wiring shows the pin out backwards for the 9004 bulbs, as the high beam circuit is feeding the low beam pin on the 9004 bulbs witch makes absolutly no sense, but thats what i'm going to try next and see if it works? if that doesnt do it, im just going to wire up a set of relays then i know i can make it work that way

any one have any input on this? if not, hopefully it will be a help to other users trying to do anything similar when i finally figure it out....

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 06-10-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:50 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

to help make it more confusing, here are the ram pin outs from the manual and the bulb pinouts

the quad beam sport pins are marked * and the non sport pins are **

and the "pin c" or "RD/OR" high beam circuit stay the same for both bulbs, though it is the low beam circuit on a 9004

Name:  20140610_134219_zpszxpubesj.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_2014-06-10-13-42-02_zpszvpp0thp.png
Views: 141
Size:  156.6 KB

Old 06-10-2014, 06:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Wire colors are going to do the same job, regardless of bulb. Just have to make sure the pinout at the bulb connector is correct.

Dim lows implies a bad connection somewhere. Check any splices in the wires. Not just the ones you did either.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wire colors are going to do the same job, regardless of bulb. Just have to make sure the pinout at the bulb connector is correct.

Dim lows implies a bad connection somewhere. Check any splices in the wires. Not just the ones you did either.
I understand all that, but the problem is the bulbs worked correctly before so I know the wires/connections are good, and with the correct wiring for the new bulbs they are dim but the ram schematics show the bulbs being wired different than "correct" way, so I'm going to wire up the way the ram schematics show and see what happens, but that means wiring the high and lows opposite of what the bulb pin out shows, very strange.....

Old 06-10-2014, 10:45 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker

Ok got it!

If you want to swap from sport lights to regular lights, use the 3 wire headlight plug, leave the red/orange wire as it is, and swap the other two wires with each other,

(the 2 wire headlight plug is un used)

Quick Reply: ram headlight circuits????