2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ethanaul(???) Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
kugelspritzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ethanaul(???) Fuel?

Hey guys I went to a new gas station Sunday and they had this Ethanaul(?sp?) pump. They had a brosure telling which vehecles that could use it. The 04 Ram was on the list, but no rams before that. My question is what could it hurt to run this stuff in my 98? Supposedly this stuff is 100 octane, so is it that this stuff will burn to hot and destroy my catalitic converter or will it just not run in my vehicle? Being the gambler that I am I went ahead and put five gallons in and topped it off with regular. So far I cant tell any difference.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:44 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Ethanaul(???) Fuel?

I don't think it's 100 octane. [>:]

You can burn ethanol fuel in any vehicle. Most stations ONLY sell ethanol blends around here. Odds are you've bought it before and didn't even know it. There's usually a little sticker on the pump that says e10 (ethanol 10% blend).

You won't notice your vehicle running much different, but your mileage will be worse than what it is with non-ethanol gas. So far my Grand Prix has dropped almost 3mpg. [:'(] I run non-ethanol V-Power in my truck though. [8D]

Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 PM
1500sport
Professional

If there was a brochure telling which vehicles can use it and they had a special pump for it chances are you are talking about the E85 fuel which is 85% ethanol. You need to find out for sure because if it is E85 it will eventually eat your fuel system components. Your 98 is not set up for gas with that much ethanol. Even blending it at that strength can be bad. Many stations add 10% ethanol and that should be ok. You should find out for sure. The E85 is usually a lot cheaper but don't run it in your 98. Putting only 5 gallons in shouldn't hurt anything since you mixed it this time but I would NOT do it again. The E85 is made for Flex Fuel Vehicles and unfortunately the 2nd gen dodges are one of them. The FFV vehicles have different injector seals, stainless fuels line and some other stuff to withstand the ethanol.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:33 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

along with that and today i saw a sighn to fill my tires with nitrogen? "ill save 100 dollars in gas" rriiiggghhhtttt...........

Old 10-18-2005, 11:42 PM
tenntech
Professional

1500sport is right, if your vehicle is not built to use ethenol, than it may damage hoses and seals. You will also get lower fuel milage. Ethenol fuel has a higher oxygen content, so when it burns the exhuast has a higher oxygen content. The O2 sensor volts go low so the PCM adds more fuel to compensate for what it thinks is a lean mixture. I think I'd stick to regular or mid-grade.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 PM
thump186
Record Breaker

The 98 was not designed as a flex fuel vehicle. which has one tank for gas and an alternate fuel usaly ethanol. here is a link to some more info.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/flextech.shtml

Old 10-19-2005, 12:23 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283
along with that and today i saw a sighn to fill my tires with nitrogen? "ill save 100 dollars in gas" rriiiggghhhtttt...........
Nitrogen is a lot better than air when it comes to tires. Nitrogen will stay at a constant pressure. It won't change as much with the temperatures as oxygen does, and it is less likely to leak out. It also WILL NOT oxidize aluminum rims, as it contains no water. Oxidation on the inside of the rim is the #1 cause of slow tire leaks. [:'(] It also cuts down on the deterioration of the tire, but I've never had a set of tires on a vehicle long enough to rot them from the inside. The tires on my Ramcharger were on there for almost 15 years and they were barely weathered on the outside.

It's possible that over a year of use you could save some money, if you're someone that never checks your tire pressure. Incorrect tire pressure can impact your gas mileage. I doubt you're going to save $100 though.

Someday I hope I can afford an IR Nitrogen Generator for my garage, for the sake of all my vehicles that have aluminum rims.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:37 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

For $7,829 you could have one, nothing like a nitrogen generator .....lol

Old 10-19-2005, 12:42 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

well i did not know that....interesting ... nitrogen is inert too so that would make sense.. how nifty... i gues you do learn something new everyday!

Old 10-19-2005, 12:47 AM
thump186
Record Breaker

I seen a few cars with it. I honestly don't see the point in filling tires with. What happens if you need pressure in you tires not like you can go to the service shop or your dealer and say i need nitrogen in my tire at 6 in the morning.

Quick Reply: Ethanaul(???) Fuel?