2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd Stumble/Miss/Ping While driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Where are engine RPM at that point?

Old 06-25-2014 | 08:36 AM
budweezy
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Where are engine RPM at that point?
It varies. Generally between 1800~2200RPM. But it will do it above 2200RPM also and at speeds up to 80MPH. Haven't gone over 80MPH to see if it does it even higher in the RPM/Speed range.

The tune up kit I got was the ACCEL TST11. I checked the wire routing again last night to make sure I followed the TSB properly, and I did.

Now, the other very odd thing that's random is when I put the truck in reverse it will occasionally stall. Sometimes it will sputter and act as if it's going to die but doesn't. That is completely random though and happens maybe once every 8 times I drive the truck. If it stalls the truck starts right back up and runs fine. Never a CEL or code...

I think the truck is possessed.....

Old 06-25-2014 | 06:48 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Let me suggest the crank position sensor.

Over the past year I've had a random miss issue that has slowly gotten worse.
By random, I mean once every 60miles maybe, or 3-4 times in a row.
It initially only occurred on the transition from decelerate to accelerate, even if only mild.
Some times it was a cough in the intake, sometimes a pop in the exhaust, and sometimes just nothing (hesitate).
Of recent, at idle, it was sounding almost like one cylinder was not firing strong (low compression), but all plugs are a good and even color.

Since I had fairly recently changed all sensor but the crank and cam position, I figured it had to be one of the two... I chose to change the crank first as it was easier to change than the the cam.
I changed it out this weekend gone, and I have my old truck back... smooth idle, better acceleration, and no missing.

My issue started at ~160k on the original CPS... I changed it at ~172k.
I put in a stealership part, as these trucks don't seem to like aftermarket sensors much, and I didn't want the hassle of changing it again anytime soon... I got the sensor for less than $90, so that is cheap motoring if I get another 160K out of it.

If you have high mikes, and haven't changed your CPS, I'd change it just because.

Old 06-26-2014 | 07:19 AM
budweezy
|

Originally Posted by Spillage
Let me suggest the crank position sensor.

Over the past year I've had a random miss issue that has slowly gotten worse.
By random, I mean once every 60miles maybe, or 3-4 times in a row.
It initially only occurred on the transition from decelerate to accelerate, even if only mild.
Some times it was a cough in the intake, sometimes a pop in the exhaust, and sometimes just nothing (hesitate).
Of recent, at idle, it was sounding almost like one cylinder was not firing strong (low compression), but all plugs are a good and even color.

Since I had fairly recently changed all sensor but the crank and cam position, I figured it had to be one of the two... I chose to change the crank first as it was easier to change than the the cam.
I changed it out this weekend gone, and I have my old truck back... smooth idle, better acceleration, and no missing.

My issue started at ~160k on the original CPS... I changed it at ~172k.
I put in a stealership part, as these trucks don't seem to like aftermarket sensors much, and I didn't want the hassle of changing it again anytime soon... I got the sensor for less than $90, so that is cheap motoring if I get another 160K out of it.

If you have high mikes, and haven't changed your CPS, I'd change it just because.
Thanks!!!! That's what I'll try next. That's the one thing I have not changed yet, but was in my sights to be replaced.

Old 07-06-2014 | 05:51 PM
budweezy
|

UPDATE: I installed a new CPS and that solved my problem.... I never would have guessed that would have caused the odd behavior. Lesson learned on that one.

Thanks Everyone for the input and advice on what to try.

Old 07-06-2014 | 06:12 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

It's like magic, isn't it...
If you didn't, reset the PCM so it learns the new setup quicker.

Old 07-07-2014 | 08:17 AM
budweezy
|

Originally Posted by Spillage
It's like magic, isn't it...
If you didn't, reset the PCM so it learns the new setup quicker.
That's an understatement for sure .

I'll reset the PCM today.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-08-2014 | 06:01 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Hey all,
Been a while since I've logged in but haven't had any issues for a while till now. I have similar symptoms as original post but mine dies. When I try to restart, it will fire for a second and die. If I barely feather the pedal I can tap the throttle and it will keep it alive but missing and knocking. After a few tries or waiting a couple minutes it will fire right up like nothing happened... Fuel pressure is steady at 39-40psi. All relays tested to be good. Newer plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, alternator. All work was done by me and been double checked. Also, I have noticed a minor "whine" when accelerating above 2700rpm. May or may not be related. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-08-2014 | 06:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

And no codes I'll bet..... maybe the cam sensor..... or crank sensor. If the PCM got confused as to which cylinder was where.... it might cause that...

Old 07-08-2014 | 07:39 PM
mnewbolds
Veteran

Ok. That was what I was reading alot of lately. I did just take it out and beat on it, got the rpms up to about 3500 and it started stumbling. Let off and it seemed ok until I got back on the throttle. Gave it a couple minutes and it started right back up again. Then I thought maybe redlining it would do it again. BAM right at redline it shut down and same symptoms occurred. I miss Carburetors... Now that I think of it. The truck starts cold and runs rough for almost a minute and the idle bumps to 1000 and right back to 750-800 and the engine smooths out... Related?

EDIT- Oh, and only code to pop up was 14-Map high/low. That I think came on when I was trying to restart it.

Last edited by mnewbolds; 07-08-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Odd Stumble/Miss/Ping While driving