2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Clutch Fan

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 07:58 PM
elmoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 Clutch Fan

I have a 98 Wrangler with a 98 5.9 swapped in it. I replaced my radiator and now my fan will not fit. Does anyone know if someone makes a thin fan clutch that will thread on the water pump. I only have 3 inches between the radiator and water pump. My new radiator is about 1/4 deeper than the one I removed. I've looked at electric fans but can not find a thin one that has enough CFM in my opinion. Any help/advise will be appreciated.
Paul

Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Did you get a different style radiator than stock? (guessing that's a yes....)

Taurus fan moves enough air, pretty hefty amp draw though. Not aware of any alternatives for the fan though.... can you alter your radiator mounts to move it forward some?

Old 06-24-2014, 02:51 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

I have a 5.2 in my TJ and am in the middle of swapping in a 5.9 into it. I have been running electric fans from the get go. Can you send me some pictures so I can see what it is you're dealing with? You can email them to me , use the email in my sig or use a photo hosting program like photobucket and put them up on here.

You can sometimes get around the depth issue by mounting the fan a little lower than the water pump. By doing this the motor for the fan then has the area between the radiator and bottom pulley. That is how my Jeep is setup. The other thing I did was cut the threads off the end of the water pump.

Edit:
Also why did you change radiators? What radiator were you using in the first place?

Old 06-24-2014, 09:16 PM
elmoe

I'm not sure of the original model of radiator that I had on it. I bought it used and it started to leak around the cap area. I bought an aluminum one from Champion. I found a Derale fan and shroud combo that's 3 inches thick that I may order. I put my motor mounts in the hole that Advance Adapters said to and did not think to test fit the radiator. I have no more than 3 and 1/4 inch between the water pump and radiator. I thought about cutting off the stud, but I think that I want to keep the mechanical fan if possible. I originally had a 19 inch fan and a pieced together shroud that kept it real cool 190-197. I didn't like the looks of the shroud so I went with a 5 blade fan and it kept it at normal TJ temps 205-210. My Jeep is not at my house but I'll try and get you some pics tomorrow. Thanks

Old 06-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Not a TJ, but I have two 16" e-fans (2024cfm ea) on my 5.2 ram (stock radiator).
I have one fan disconnected at the moment, and the other one keeps up at 180°F real easy at nothing over 60% speed and cycling.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:22 PM
elmoe

I ordered a Derale two speed fan and shroud combo along with a Dakota Digital controller. I hope that it all fits in the space and keeps my Jeep cool. I will post the results when I get it all installed. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:07 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

if it came down to it get a pusher fan, they aren't as efficient, but mount on the front of the rad (a lot of hot rodders use them)

Quick Reply: 5.9 Clutch Fan