2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More 4x4 problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:25 AM
dustin.bunton
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 4x4 problems

Alright guys I thought I knew everything there was to fix the 4x4 but I was wrong I know the source of the problem but not the solution the switch that holds the 4 vacuum lines doesn't switch the vacuum it's a new switch I'm thinking it has something to do with the mechanism inside any ideas

Old 06-24-2014, 10:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Go to a posi-lok, or just pull the cad cover, shuffle some e-rings, and have the front axle always engaged.

Is the switch screwed down all the way?

Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Also if you're having issues with vent doors not working right and your 4 wheel drive isn't working also then they could both be related to a vacuum leak.

You can remove the vacuum switch from the transfer case and see if the range rod is moving in and out. That would check the mechanical items inside your transfer case.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:55 PM
dustin.bunton
Amateur

Screwed all the way in don't like the posi lock and full time lock drains my gas mileage (tried it) vacuum it's self isn't the problem it's the mechanism beneath the switch

Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

The only thing under the switch is the range selector rod. If that rod was broken then the insides of the transfer case would also be broken.

Let's go back to the start.
If you jack the truck up and put it on jack stands & put the truck in 4WD does the front driveshaft turn? Does it turn in both high and low? If yes then your transfer case is working. Now if you pull or push on the posi lock (which ever way engages the axle lock) and have the transfer case in 4wd hi or low do the front wheels turn? You can stop one wheel from turning & that is normal but you should not be able to stop the other wheel from turning while still holding the first wheel. Do this and get back to us.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:42 AM
dustin.bunton
Amateur

Drive shaft turns tires do not (both high and low)

Old 06-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Are you sure the Posi Loc is engaged? You need to make sure it is working correctly before moving on. If the Posi Loc is engaged and the driveshaft is turning but the wheels aren't then there is a problem inside your front differential. You need to pull the diff cover and take a look at the insides.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:50 PM
dustin.bunton
Amateur

When I changed the switch it didn't work so I took the switch out and felt for anything to push the switch nothing when I push the switch manually it locks in. It's not the front end it's in the mechanism to push the switch

Old 06-25-2014, 10:17 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

You could take that switch off and not use it as it isn't doing anything now since you have the Posi Loc. If the driveshaft is turning and your wheels aren't and you have the Posi Loc locked in then it is something wrong with your front diff.

But since you already know what the problem is just fix it.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^agreed with Wildman.

Having the posi lok (physical cable run to the CAD on passenger side of axle) removes any further use of the vacuum operated switch on the transfer case.

You would want to make sure all connected vac lines are capped off etc. so as not to impact your HVAC schizz.

Based on your recent results, it sounds like the next step is to open the CAD and check the collar integrity. I'd do that before opening main cover and draining the differential.

Actuate the posiloc cable and see what's going on...

Quick Reply: More 4x4 problems