2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

front axle replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
ldsbro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front axle replacement

Okay here goes I did a ball joint service to start and noticed just some fresh grease wasn't gonna cut it so I replaced them well turns out the press fit is none existent the inner c on the top port is over sized and bigger ball joints didn't help so now I'm stuck looking for a new front end been looking in salvage yards and Google with no luck any body else came across this problem have any advice would be helpfully

Old 06-26-2014, 10:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

All of the second gen 4x4's used the same front axle. (half tons) They should be relatively easy to find...... check craigslist for someone parting out a truck.

Old 06-26-2014, 07:22 PM
TEDD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to my stock 44 before I upgraded to a 60. All I did is put 4 solid tacks from the ball joint housing to the inner c. The inner c is cast steel so no special rod or wire is needed, just make sure to let it cool in between tacks so you don't melt the Teflon liner in the balljoint. I wheeled the crap out of that axle and even bent the top of the c without my tacks breaking. When you have to replace the balljoint again just cut the tacks with a cutoff wheel and repeat. Worse case scenario at least your truck won't be down while you look for another axle. Good luck.

Quick Reply: front axle replacement