2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing the dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone ends up buying any of these things. Let us know exactly what arrives please!

Old 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Info Please

Has anyone done this? What is the degree of difficulty?
I have a 96 Ram 1500 and my dash looks like a bomb hit it.
I have one of the carpet covers that works but I don't like the way it looks.
Some of the screw and snap on pieces are broken or missing so I can't get my dash bezel to tighten up properly. The cup holder screw mounting screw plates are broken off of the plastic mounting holders and the plastic is so broken that I can't get anything to hold onto to screw cup holder down. Would the new dash fix this problem?
Is the support listed a good idea?
Thanks to anyone who has been down this road.
Torx

Old 07-09-2014, 10:47 PM
jamesnb
Professional

I'm ordering the dash, bezel and reinforcement strips from LMC tonight. I'll update when i finish the job.
There wasn't much left of my dash when I removed it and it doesn't look like a tough job. (I'm replacing the heater core too which looks tougher.)
The cup holder on the 2001 is different from the '96 so I can't help you there.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Default Good Luck

Originally Posted by jamesnb
I'm ordering the dash, bezel and reinforcement strips from LMC tonight. I'll update when i finish the job.
There wasn't much left of my dash when I removed it and it doesn't look like a tough job. (I'm replacing the heater core too which looks tougher.)
The cup holder on the 2001 is different from the '96 so I can't help you there.
Good luck on replacing your dash, bezel and reinforcement kit. I was thinking about the reinforcement clips since they're not very expensive.
I doubt the dash plastic extends far enough down to fix my crumbling cup holder supports. I ordered their catalog so maybe they have a fix for it.
Please let me know how it goes for you. Maybe you'll be able to point out any do's and don'ts for the next guy.(Probably me). I'd appreciate any feedback and I wish you the best of luck.
Torx

Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Texasbob

I ordered the replacement dash from LMC. It is the complete top of dash from windshield to the bezel. The color match was right on. It fits great and looks good. You really need toothpick arms and to be able see around corners to get the screws in from the backside, but that's on Dodge not LMC. The crumbling cupholder mounts are on the bezel on my 96. My biggest problem now is that 2 of the nylon or plastic nuts that the dash screws into have broken. Dealer says not serviced. none at NAPA, AZ or O'reilly. anyone have an idea where to get new ones? I figure anything from the boneyard would be brittle and as crumbly as the ones that broke.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasbob
Dealer says not serviced. none at NAPA, AZ or O'reilly. anyone have an idea where to get new ones?
I got mine at a dealership. Maybe you ought to call another dealer?

There's really no way they can service anything that requires removing the instrument panel if they don't have those parts on hand because all of the originals still in service are sure to fall apart upon removal of the screws. I just can't imagine Chrysler letting them go out of production.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:27 AM
djbucky3
Captain

I bought some of those things off ebay once.. No idea how i found em.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

In fall of 13, I replaced my dash with the LMC replacement piece and it is beautiful. Match is near perfect, just slightly duller than the stock gloss. Fit and finish is also near perfect. Came well packaged and included the felt bushings as well. Install was really just remove everything you possibly can, tilt the dash down, fit new piece, start replacing screws. I then ordered the bezel later and it has worked great for over a year now. I highly recommend the LMC dash. After reading everything on the net I could find, I'm glad I went this way versus Geno's. If anyone needs tips or advice, feel free to ask.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a dash from the dealer. It had a stamp for a production date of Nov 2014. So they are still making things.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:04 PM
Stephen C.
Default replacing forward dash is too easy

2003 Ram 1500- I am referring to the forward section of the dash that has the grills for the AC/heat. This part has much thinner plastic than the main dash.
I got a quote from the dealer I purchased the truck at- $312 for the dash, part # 5GT31WL8AC, & $281.79 labor ($593.79 total). They told me the seats and entire dash had to come out. I passed on that offer. The exploded drawing shows fasteners UNDER the dash, so I believed them. 4 years later when entire chunks were removable, I decided I could cut the fasteners and lay the new dash in place.Turns out these fasteners are the same plastic crap as, and part of, the dash. And the new dash has new fasteners. And the new dash is mfg 2014, well after the plastic was reformulated. The Dealer's parts guy sold me a OEM dash for $240 and told me all I had to do was pull out the old clips & plastic, lay the new dash in place- peeking under line up the new fasteners, then using the heel of my hand, strike above each fastener. I used needle nosed pliers to pull out the old fasteners(5 minutes), lay the dash in place and hit the fasteners into place (1.5 minutes). It really pisses me off the dealer lied and wanted to charge me $593.79 for a $240 dash that takes 6.5 minutes to replace.
They lied when they told me the entire dash had to come out. You can just break it off & pull the old fasteners out- too easy!

Last edited by Stephen C.; 02-22-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Replacing the dash