2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing the dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen C.
I got a quote from the dealer I purchased the truck at- $312 for the dash & $281.79 labor ($593.79 total). They told me the seats and entire dash had to come out. I passed on that offer. The exploded drawing shows fasteners UNDER the dash, so I believed them. 4 years later when entire chunks were removable, I decided I could cut the fasteners and lay the new dash in place.Turns out these fasteners are the same plastic crap as, and part of, the dash. And the new dash has new fasteners. And the new dash is mfg 2014, well after the plastic was reformulated. The Dealer's parts guy sold me a OEM dash for $240 and told me all I had to do was pull out the old clips & plastic, lay the new dash in place- peeking under line up the new fasteners, then using the heel of my hand, strike above each fastener. I used needle nosed pliers to pull out the old fasteners(5 minutes), lay the dash in place and hit the fasteners into place (1.5 minutes). It really pisses me off the dealer lied and wanted to charge me $593.79 for a $240 dash that takes 6.5 minutes to replace.
Dealer bases their labor on what the Labor Time Guide has to say. And of course, the time listed in there is for removing a dash that they expect to be able to put back on.... so, the time is far longer than what you experienced.

That said, I don't think I have seen anyone actually remove the seats to do their dash, though I bet that makes it a lot easier.....

Old 02-21-2015, 09:35 PM
torxdurley
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost prohibitive for me

I just can't lay out that kinda money. $240 for a dash and $170 for the bezel!
I have a carpet cover with custom cut outs for all the dash and side vents.
It's gonna have to suffice on my 1996 Ram.
I have to concentrate on the engine and bodywork.
Maybe I'll hit the lotto or something.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Originally Posted by torxdurley
I just can't lay out that kinda money. $240 for a dash and $170 for the bezel!
I have a carpet cover with custom cut outs for all the dash and side vents.
It's gonna have to suffice on my 1996 Ram.
I have to concentrate on the engine and bodywork.
Maybe I'll hit the lotto or something.
I hear ya there. Fortunately, my dash is still intact. No cracks. Wonder how that happened.

Quick Reply: Replacing the dash