2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Magnum Air-Box Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 08:17 AM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 5.9 Magnum Air-Box Confusion

Hey Fellas,

I'm having a bit of an issue replacing the airbox on my 01 1500 Off Road. I pulled up the parts manual and found that for my 5.9 magnum, the part number for the airbox body(lower section) is 04897529aa, and the part number for the upper section(cover) is 05018218aa.

This issue is with where the hoses attach to the box.
As you can see, there is a nipple on the passenger side on my current airbox and no nipple on the driver rear side. On the driver's side, the pcv valve hose goes into the manifold, and not into the airbox on my truck.
Name:  20140630_150311_zps0d1cfd58.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  275.3 KB

Crankcase vent hose on passenger side
Name:  20140708_081216_zps8610c6b9.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  291.5 KB

When looking at the parts manual, the airbox shown in the diagram has a nipple on the driver rear, as well as another hose attaching just above the throttle body.
Name:  Aircleanerdiagram_zps1c35ebb0.jpg
Views: 2478
Size:  66.0 KB

In looking on ebay, and the limited places that sell airboxes for these old trucks, none seem to be like mine. I don't know where to find a replacement at this point, but this one is all cracked and the PO decided to just duct tape it which i don't like.

Any ideas boys?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Things moved around on the air box over the years. PCV valve switched sides..... The difference *might* just be different hoses...... I think the new trucks had a hose that went from the passenger side valve cover, up over and behind the air box, to the nipple.

The nipple on the passenger side, right above where it mounts to the throttle body, looks to be an intake hose for the air injection pump. Does your truck even HAVE one?? I think those were only one the HD 360, and I have never seen one..... Of course, I haven't seen one with the nipple like yours has either.

Might just get one, and then run some 'custom' hoses.....

Old 07-09-2014, 12:39 PM
DodgeFanMP
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the same truck and air box you do...

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Might just get one, and then run some 'custom' hoses.....
If you can't find the exact same part that you already have, I'd do what HeyYou suggested. You should be able to just cap off the extra nipple on the driver's side with a short hose and a plug, and then just get a piece of heater or vacuum hose to reach from the passenger side valve cover to the "relocated" nipple on the air box. That should work just like the stock setup.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Magnum Air-Box Confusion