2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Anti Spin Differential Carrier Clip Found Broken in my Pumpkin.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:07 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Anti Spin Differential Carrier Clip Found Broken in my Pumpkin.....

So yesterday doing my diff fluid exchange i found metal chunks that were big but not big enough to be teeth. so after a night and next morning of research i found out it is the"clip from the anti spion carrier".
A: WTF does that mean
B: WTF does that clip do
and C: How boned am i and how quickly do i need to address this.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,205 Likes on 2,957 Posts

it means that you should seriously consider rebuilding the the carrier. (I don't think it even needs to come out of the diff for such an exercise, so, isn't too bad of a job.)

Clip kinda sorta holds things together.

I would seriously consider addressing it as quickly as you can. Some folks have gone quite a while with the clips broken/missing, others haven't been quite so lucky.... Fixing it NOW, isn't too painful. Waiting till later might put the price tag in four digits, or, require complete replacement of the rear diff. (which is sometimes the cheaper route anyway.....) Think the rebuild kits can be had for around 100 bucks. Add a couple quarts of fluid, the friction modifier additive, (if it isn't in the fluid you buy...) and a tube of RTV..... Probably less than 150 bucks, and a couple hours of your time.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:52 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Is there a direction you can point me to acquire a rebuild kit and possibly an I sheet to see if in fact i can leave the carrier in place and just remove the cover. That is about my level of skill with gears and such, if i have to remove the carrier i would not feel comfortable trying to mess with that.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,205 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Most any place that sells gears and such (quad 4x4, randys ring and pinion, and probably summit, or jegs...) will have the rebuild kits.

Grab the 01 service manual from here, read over the recommended procedure, and see what you think. (if the ring gear needs to come off, the carrier needs to come out. otherwise, shouldn't have to....) There 'might' even be a DIY in the faq section here, but, not 100% on that.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:28 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Take a look here for an interesting article and photos of a rebuild:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/10...dana-trac-lok/

Honestly, going to a new expensive locking rear differential won't really increase the overall value of your truck much... so go in to a locker knowing you may not get back your investment through use or re-sale.... But definitely don't push off the repair seeing as how you've already found clip pieces.

JT

Quick Reply: Rear Anti Spin Differential Carrier Clip Found Broken in my Pumpkin.....