2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Ram 318 won't start after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:28 AM
Legitsu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ram 318 won't start after sitting

got a 1999 ram with a bit of a odd issue
if you let it sit more then a day or so it doesn't wanna start it will crank and crank and crank until the battery dies it seems to be flooding out when it doesn't fire the first time around
my step day seems to think there is a bunk check valve some-ware in the fuel system causing the pressure to back off and it to flood out when it sits has anybody had anything similar happen
noticed the following symptom in addion to the no start

1. doesn't always want to idle even with it hot
I am wondering if its something todo with the IAC valve sticking you give it some gas and it wakes up.. and it I know these motors need a certain amount of voltage before they will run it smooths when you lean your toe on the pedal.. could be combination of both ...

2. moderate oil drip from the front of the motor I am assuming its probably just the timing cover or something #unrelated

3. crappy fuel mileage I know its a 4x4 318 but 10-12MPG seems pretty low

4. haven't checked the plenum gasket but it doesn't seem to use a bunch of oil when its warm and running good its got decent power for a anemic 318

Last edited by Legitsu; 09-02-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

If you step lightly on the gas when it is reluctant to start, will it fire up?

May need to check fuel pressure... do you hear the pump prime when you hit the key?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Legitsu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the pump seems to be cycling just fine I don't have a gauge to check the fuel rail pressure with but it seems to have decent pressure(smells like gas) it almost behaves like its flooded after enough cranking it will splutter and cough hiss and miss-behave and then catch on 4 or 5 cylinders if you try and nurse it to keep it running it generally doesn't get any better attempting to lean on the pedal just makes it worse until after 3-5M of running on a couple of cylinders eventually it catches on all 8 .. barely if you try and give it before it catches on all at least 7/8 it just farts and dies and you are back to square one
even then you need to rev the **** out of it and it will pop and bang and chatter and generally run like crap for a good haf mile or so
then it smooths out and its right as rain so long as it doesn't sit for more then 24h very odd I am looking at getting a set of plugs and wires god knows it needs it but something tells me there is more going on here .. with money being as tight as it is I been trying to make due but its getting to the point where I can't count on it to run without spending 15m dicking with it

Last edited by Legitsu; 09-02-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You may have a leaking injector, failing fuel pump, bad engine temp sensor, or a selection of other problems. Sure wouldn't hurt to have a look at the plugs/wires/cap/rotor, see what kind of condition they are in.

Quick Reply: 1999 Ram 318 won't start after sitting