2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission swap 01 into 97

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:16 PM
00sidekick00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i haven't had overdrive in 4 years anyway lol ;p that's interesting that it works after a while why would temp affect a shift point? i'm still stock with the 3.55's no lift and only slightly bigger tires no need to up my gears. but back to swapping electronics i sent an email to the guys you had recommended getting parts form HeyYou (must say very responsive i like that) here's what they had to say on the subject.
"the easiest way to go about this would be to swap the valve body from one to the other the electrical (solenoids) operate at different hertz between 96-99 vs 2000 up , as the transducer / sensor styles are entirely different. The other thing to double check is i am quite sure the starter pockets between the two trucks are slightly different
therefore you may also need the flexplate to match , but we are not engine people so this may take some further research. The torque converter's between the two years should be identical other than one may be low stall , and the other could be high stall
there's only 100 style difference between them though , so very tough to notice it. Hope this helps some." I'm currently in the process of moving among other things so i may not get to this right away but feel free to thread jack or just share general info as it relates to original subject matter, cheers.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

If the PCM thinks the trans fluid is too cold, it won't enable overdrive. if the newer sensor operates at a different frequency than what the PCM expects, PCM isn't going to get accurate info, so, it won't "know" what temp the fluid REALLY is..... My guess is, the newer sensors send a lower than expected signal to the PCM, so, the fluid actually needs to be hotter before the PCM sees the requisite 108 degrees.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:53 PM
00sidekick00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those wanting to do this type of swap now or in the future ElectricalAdvantage has been extremely helpful even before i buy anything i'll have to see how post purchases is but currently i'd recommend them. Thanks heyyou for the tip
Here is the part number to make an 01' Trans work in a 96-99 unit, on there main site which is a (dot)net
518Solkit1
In addition to this i'll also need the heat shield for a 96-99 , and the pressure sensor retaining clip which they sell separately.

Quick Reply: Transmission swap 01 into 97