2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rearend help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:08 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BackInBlack43
Okay I'm about to order this kit to rebuild my current rear I just need to help make sure this is correct. This says spline count is 29 but I thought I had a 30. It's the 8800 lb truck lsd if that matters. Someone please help me out and let me know is this the right one

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271442962634?cmd=VIDESC&gxo=true
Here is link to stating your carrier spline count is 30.

http://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/DiffDe...&DriveType=RWD

Who has setup your gears previously? If I was to rank things among all the critical details in setting up gears, it would be pinion nut torque and carrier preload.

Can you share what the failures have been?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM
BackInBlack43
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stay on top of checking the fluids and everything its full i dont know what went wrong this time, the shop that did it last time had a lot of issues shimming it so im assuming its something to do with that. i dont beat on the truck i never do burnouts. the gears are failing i cant drive the truck right now and im scurrying trying to find a kit to order. its my only vehicle. going down the road right now it just pops and jumps like hell feels like teeth are missing. ive had no luck with rear ends in this truck

Old 10-06-2014, 04:27 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've sent you a PM.

In the meantime here is something you can do on your own when home. You can pull both axle shafts out. Just take the bolts out at the hub and slide shaft out. Place a pan under neath the hub to catch any oil, which will be a little. You do not have to take diff cover off.

Pull both shafts out to look at the splines and check condition.

If the splines look intact, then I would guess possible problem (based on the sounds) are broken spider gears in the carrier (1 or both sides), broken ring gear teeth, and/or broken pinion gear teeth.

If the carrier preload and/or pinion preload were never done sufficiently, then things loosen up and go bad. This assumes the mesh pattern and backlash were in spec to begin with. I hope you have the previous receipts, any warranty for parts and/or install, etc. to fall back on to help with the cost.

Otherwise, park the truck and remove the diff cover to inspect yourself.

Quick Reply: Rearend help