2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP With transmission and overdrive PLZ... New here...

Old 10-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Tammynwes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP With transmission and overdrive PLZ... New here...

My ole man has a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with i believe is 46 RE Tranny... Transmission was working fine until one day comming home from work when letting off gas overdrive would go to nutruel, would kick out to free will then when you give it gas the overdrive caught and would not slip and even go up to 80... what would cause that? Also got home the transmission was hot... Any help please!!!

Old 10-12-2014, 04:17 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm going to move your post to the 2nd gen ram section.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:26 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like could be your torque converter gone bad, very common on our trucks. Seems they only last about 80k miles. gonna want to replace it. Also if you've over heated your transmission in a bad way there will be a lot of friction material in the trans oil, many say only way to go is a complete rebuild if that's the case. The friction plates in the trans tend to come apart when over heated. Personally I'd just flush the oil a couple times and hope for the best with a new TC install. Rebuild or replace the trans if that don't work out.

Last edited by beeker; 10-16-2014 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 PM
Tammynwes

He says the tq looks new and replaced? Is there a way to check it?

Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the pan and drain the oil. See what the oil looks like. Should be red and clean, if it's brown that indicates a problem. No drain plug, must pull the pan. Suggest installing new pan with drain plug if you do pull it. They are cheap on Ebay

Can you describe the problem again, don't quite understand your problem with the trans. Is it revving out of lockup?

Old 10-15-2014, 12:31 PM
Tammynwes
Default Help with tranny

Will explain again when he gets off work at 6 today... He doesnt know much bout computers so i try my best to keep up with him and type what hes explaining to me lol Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP With transmission and overdrive PLZ... New here...