2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 12v Cummins Wont start when WET OUTSIDE!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:34 PM
fabs375
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 12v Cummins Wont start when WET OUTSIDE!?

I am having a few issues with my dads truck which I am battling to fix. Everytime (or most of the time) I go there to diagnose the truck it starts okay.
He informs me that everytime it is wet outside, early morning cold temps or after it has rained the truck will not start. I have replaced the starter and still same issue.
I have swapped relays with blower relay but still same thing.

When key is turned, I hear a click, which is NOT coming from the starter. I test for power at the solenoid when key is turned and no go.

When I jump the starter by hand it crank fine but will not go with ignition.

It has proven difficult for me to diagnose due to me having to drive an hour to get there and usually it works when I am looking at it.
I am a mechanic and can diagnose electrical quite well so have no problems doing any testing that is suggested.

I thought I read somewhere on another forum that there is some sort of spring or something under the dash going to the ignition switch? these can have bad contacts and create this problem? I did not see this in the wiring diagram.
I have access to any wiring diagrams on Mitchell etc...

But why mostly when it is wet or humid outside??

Has anyone experienced this before?

Any help is much appreciated.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Are you getting proper voltage on the (I think) purple wire to the solenoid? (Gotta be at least 9 volts) If you are, I would swap the starter again. Wouldn't be the first time someone got a bad part right out of the box.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:50 PM
fabs375
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I am not getting any voltage to the starter solenoid when the key is turned. that is my problemo.
The worste part about this is I started diagnosing it, got that far, and than it started working again. this problem is an intermittent problem and I don't have the truck with me all the time so its quite difficult to diag.
I know it is not that starter because when I jump the starter it works. than doesn't work with the key.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Ok, and you already swapped the relay as well.... with no change. Ignition switch would be the next thing to test. The switch just supplies voltage to the control side of the starter relay. Now, if you actually hear the relay click, but the starter STILL doesn't spin the engine, probably just a connector problem at the PDC. I think there is one large one on the underside that can work loose...... Haven't had to play with that aspect of things myself yet though..... worth a look next time you are there.

Quick Reply: 1998 12v Cummins Wont start when WET OUTSIDE!?