2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question about harmonic bal

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:34 PM
GRed
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
No there is nowhere to out the bolts.
ok.. so its back to a jaw puller?

Old 11-15-2014, 03:34 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

If you can't unbolt the pulley you have to use the jaw puller. I didn't know they made it 1 piece. My 99' was 2 piece so I could use the bolt one I linked.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:16 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
If you can't unbolt the pulley you have to use the jaw puller. I didn't know they made it 1 piece. My 99' was 2 piece so I could use the bolt one I linked.
I do appreciate your feed back.
I got down there and looked and did not see any holes on the HB or the pulley and its all one piece. so its jaw puller time.

now I have to figure out if I want autozone to charge 123.00 and then refund me or just buy the tools.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 PM
ReadRam
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They were 2pc through 1999.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:35 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a tip for the Autozone Chysler HB puller. No need to remove the jaws, just put the 3 jaws in at same time, may need to shift side to side to get the jaws in, then rotate the entire puller to the right to lock it in before pulling. It won't hook if you keep it centered. Had to figure that one out after wasting a lot of time.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:35 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
Here's a tip for the Autozone Chysler HB puller. No need to remove the jaws, just put the 3 jaws in at same time, may need to shift side to side to get the jaws in, then rotate the entire puller to the right to lock it in before pulling. It won't hook if you keep it centered. Had to figure that one out after wasting a lot of time.
Would a regular 3 jaw puller instead on the Chrysler puller. say like an 8inch or even a 6inch

Last edited by GRed; 11-16-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:02 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRed
Would a regular 3 jaw puller instead on the Chrysler puller. say like an 8inch or even a 6inch
I think the only one that will work is the specific one designed for our HB. not really anywhere for the jaws to grab on the other types.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
I think the only one that will work is the specific one designed for our HB. not really anywhere for the jaws to grab on the other types.
Ok cool.. thx.. Im searching now to find one..I think I may have at amazon,

However I was thinking...I just found out the thread diameter & pitch..which is 3/4 - 16 in my area they come in 10inch(11.00) & 17inch 16.00) length couldn't I get the 10inch and put a bolt & washers on it thread it in and use the bolt and some washers to press it on.??

Old 11-18-2014, 11:06 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to use one of the Autozone rental 3 jaw pullers. Smaller of the two they had available. It was the only one I could fit into the spaces between the outer pulley and center hub of the balancer. There are 'lands' in the center of the gaps where the puller fits into. I also put my crank bolt back in leaving some room for the balancer to move and pushed against that instead of directly on the crank. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to buy it.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:25 AM
GRed
Professional

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
I was able to use one of the Autozone rental 3 jaw pullers. Smaller of the two they had available. It was the only one I could fit into the spaces between the outer pulley and center hub of the balancer. There are 'lands' in the center of the gaps where the puller fits into. I also put my crank bolt back in leaving some room for the balancer to move and pushed against that instead of directly on the crank. Worked like a charm and I didn't have to buy it.
How did you press it on,did you use their press on tool as well

Quick Reply: question about harmonic bal