2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard to Steer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

It's a pump. Output is tied directly to engine RPM. The faster the engine goes, the more hydraulic pressure you can get.

What makes me suspect the pump is: bumping RPM a bit makes it start working. So, either a bad flow control valve, or, simply the wrong one. (I don't think they are replaceable separately.... gotta get the whole pump.)

Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 PM
issakar
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's a pump. Output is tied directly to engine RPM. The faster the engine goes, the more hydraulic pressure you can get.

What makes me suspect the pump is: bumping RPM a bit makes it start working. So, either a bad flow control valve, or, simply the wrong one. (I don't think they are replaceable separately.... gotta get the whole pump.)
That's more what I meant. Normal operation there should still be power steering to some degree even at idle.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Originally Posted by issakar
That's more what I meant. Normal operation there should still be power steering to some degree even at idle.
I agree, even on my 3/4 ton truck, I can one-finger the steering lock to lock at idle.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:42 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I agree, even on my 3/4 ton truck, I can one-finger the steering lock to lock at idle.
Well I need a new pump then.

Old 02-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Was there any difference in the size of the pulley on it compared to the original? A bigger pulley will turn slower= low pressure. That's if you had enough slack in the belt for it to fit. Just thinking out loud.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:25 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Originally Posted by Moparite
Was there any difference in the size of the pulley on it compared to the original? A bigger pulley will turn slower= low pressure. That's if you had enough slack in the belt for it to fit. Just thinking out loud.
Nope I actually had to put my own pulley onto it, and I think it was identical at least from just looking at it.. So either it was messed up out of the box..or wrong internals. Cause my pump was shot and made the terrible whine yet it still worked fine. This one has no whine yet doesn't even do anything. I'm sure its under warranty so I'll switch it, this time flushing very well too. However, I was looking into the mechanics/hydraulics to how the steering gear box works, and do you think its possible something in there all binding up with those worm gears and that cylinder? Maybe an internal leak? Cause I understand how rpms being raised would make the pump pump better, but what if the pump was pumping fine and then it was just the gear box all jacked up but then with the extra pressure it was able to overcome the shot gear box? Just my thoughts. Cause the gear box does leak slightly, but not pouring out fluid or anything. I hardly ever have to top the fluid off. It stays high, just a very slight leak.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:34 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by kgilhooley31
Nope I actually had to put my own pulley onto it, and I think it was identical at least from just looking at it.. So either it was messed up out of the box..or wrong internals. Cause my pump was shot and made the terrible whine yet it still worked fine. This one has no whine yet doesn't even do anything. I'm sure its under warranty so I'll switch it, this time flushing very well too. However, I was looking into the mechanics/hydraulics to how the steering gear box works, and do you think its possible something in there all binding up with those worm gears and that cylinder? Maybe an internal leak? Cause I understand how rpms being raised would make the pump pump better, but what if the pump was pumping fine and then it was just the gear box all jacked up but then with the extra pressure it was able to overcome the shot gear box? Just my thoughts. Cause the gear box does leak slightly, but not pouring out fluid or anything. I hardly ever have to top the fluid off. It stays high, just a very slight leak.

I can't remember and I'm too lazy to re-read. Did you lift it up and turn the wheel looking for binding?

Before the change of the pump, did you have power steering? It was just noisy, right? I'd honestly start with the pump and go from there; don't stress yourself out on all the other possible issues yet. If you had power steering before the pump change, and now don't after the pump change, I'd tackle the pump first.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:12 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Yes theres no binding when I had it up on a lift

Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While it is possible to get a new power steering pump that is bad, its also possible that the steering gear box on your truck might be going bad also. The steering gear boxes on these trucks arn`t known for being the best.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:55 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional

Well, pump only took about an hour, and I just checked and the one I got from autozone is under a limited lifetime so I guess Ill start with that, won't cost me any money to put a new one in so ill do that. Is there anything I could of done in installing the old one that made something go wrong? All i did was pull lines off, undid pump and put new one in and put fluid in, turned wheels till it went down, refilled, then turned the engine on and kept fluid up while i went lock to lock. I didn't drain out the gear box, just let as much come out when i undid all the lines.

Quick Reply: Hard to Steer