2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped: CEL and Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:34 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Heater circuits are tied to ASD relay. Should see 12 volts on the heater circuit, if you don't, need to find out why.

Stuttering in fourth is a sure sign of an engine miss. My guess would be, your crank sensor is beginning to fail.
I may have found out the "why.." guess which fuse was blown!? The damn o2 sensor fuse, I feel like an idiot for not realizing this before! I will throw the sensor back in tomorrow morning and see if things clear up..

I think you may be right about the crank sensor.. even if the o2 sensor issue is resolved wouldn't I still have a miss? I'm approaching 90k miles now, can you think of anything else that could be prone to failing/causing the miss?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:39 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by gertie240
NGK brand O2? Champion copper plugs gapped correctly. Routed the plug wires .
The new o2 I purchased is a Bosch, I've got NGK spark plugs, and I still have yet to look into the routed wires.. when I installed I kept them neat and followed the stock wiring route

Old 12-10-2014, 10:46 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by Johnn123
Oiiiii these codes are a royal PITA. P0132, P0135, P0138 are voltage issues, not fouled sensors. I know because I had them and new sensors did not fix the codes.

Get both O2 sensors replaced. Honestly if that doesnt fix it, you need a new PCM for your truck sorry to tell you.
Yes the truck has basically been a royal pita since I got the thing!! This is my 3rd 2nd gen ram and I've never had so many continuous issues with my previous rams. I'm hoping the blows fuse is the solution, but if not I have a PCM from my old truck that I kept

Old 12-11-2014, 01:33 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ballstimeballs
The new o2 I purchased is a Bosch
You paid too much for a paperweight. Go NTK or Denso instead. These things fail so infrequently that there's no reason in the world not to get them from the dealer, where you're almost certain to get a Denso part, and one that's been screened more thoroughly than the same part found at a parts store.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional

[QUOTE=UnregisteredUser;3213355]You paid too much for a paperweight. Go NTK or Denso instead. /QUOTE]

Wow, I had no idea Bosch made such crappy sensors! I recall being told the factory was a Bosch unit, could just be BS but sounds like its worth making the swap

Old 12-11-2014, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Factory was denso I do believe.

Bosch doesn't really make "crappy" sensors... for some applications, they work just fine, it's just that our trucks don't really seem to get along with them. Of course, there are several sensor that our trucks are REALLY picky about...... O2 being one of them, crank sensor being another.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:41 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Factory was denso I do believe.

Bosch doesn't really make "crappy" sensors... for some applications, they work just fine, it's just that our trucks don't really seem to get along with them. Of course, there are several sensor that our trucks are REALLY picky about...... O2 being one of them, crank sensor being another.
Well I threw the sensor back in for the meantime and reset the CPU.. CEL hasn't come back yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. What's a good brink for the crank sensors? Also I do think my cat is causing the rattling noise when I let up off the gas.. could that be causing the miss? I don't wanna keep throwing my money at it but I got a feeling the old plenum did a number on my cat.. the truck was consuming 2 quarts in about a week before the new install!

Old 12-11-2014, 11:42 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional

I meant to say brand** for crank sensor, I hate this phone!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Dealer version is *best*..... I have a Standard Motor Products in mine.... and I wonder if it isn't the cause of my 'runs poor at startup' issue. Basically, when its stone cold, the first couple minutes, it will miss a bit, then remember it has 8 cylinders, and run fine....

Old 12-11-2014, 03:36 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Along with the crank sensor and the cat is there anything else I should be looking for? I guess worst case scenario would be cracked heads..

Quick Reply: Stumped: CEL and Running Rough