2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stumped: CEL and Running Rough

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Could do a compression test, dry, then wet, see what that tells ya.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:20 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two quarts a week, that oil was going somewhere. And the somewhere would be your exhaust.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:40 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ballstimeballs
Well I threw the sensor back in for the meantime and reset the CPU.. CEL hasn't come back yet but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. What's a good brink for the crank sensors? Also I do think my cat is causing the rattling noise when I let up off the gas.. could that be causing the miss? I don't wanna keep throwing my money at it but I got a feeling the old plenum did a number on my cat.. the truck was consuming 2 quarts in about a week before the new install!
They will most likely come back. Mine disappeared for 3 weeks at one point before returning.

I meant to say brand** for crank sensor, I hate this phone!
Standard Motor Products.

To me it really sounds like you need to a compression test and see where this motor is at before you spend more money on it. If you're burnin that much oil, it went to your cat and good chance the heads cracked.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:04 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnn123
They will most likely come back

To me it really sounds like you need to a compression test and see where this motor is at before you spend more money on it. If you're burnin that much oil, it went to your cat and good chance the heads cracked.
That sounds about right, that would be my luck for sure. Lol I don't currently have the tool but I will see if I can get my hands on one.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:12 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't wanna keep throwing my money at it but I got a feeling the old plenum did a number on my cat.. the truck was consuming 2 quarts in about a week before the new install!
At that rate of oil consumption your cat was killed by the end of the first week. They'll burn off small amounts of oil just fine in normal operation, but if you've got serious oil control problems the cat's substrate gets oil soaked and can't generate heat enough to get the job done. When the expensivum metals that create the chemical reaction that makes cats work (get hot) never actually see the exhaust through that coating of oil the reaction doesn't get cranked up as it should. That leaves you with a cat that first fails to do its job of cleaning up the exhaust, then becomes carbon fouled to dam up the exhaust stream. In these and many other engines, cracked heads soon follow because the cylinders overheat due to that exhaust restriction.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:52 PM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That leaves you with a cat that first fails to do its job of cleaning up the exhaust, then becomes carbon fouled to dam up the exhaust stream. In these and many other engines, cracked heads soon follow because the cylinders overheat due to that exhaust restriction.
That all makes sense, guess my next move will be replacing the cat, switching to a denso o2, and possibly replacing the heads.

Thank you to everyone for the helpful responses!
I will make sure to follow up afterwards

Old 12-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
At that rate of oil consumption your cat was killed by the end of the first week. They'll burn off small amounts of oil just fine in normal operation, but if you've got serious oil control problems the cat's substrate gets oil soaked and can't generate heat enough to get the job done. When the expensivum metals that create the chemical reaction that makes cats work (get hot) never actually see the exhaust through that coating of oil the reaction doesn't get cranked up as it should. That leaves you with a cat that first fails to do its job of cleaning up the exhaust, then becomes carbon fouled to dam up the exhaust stream. In these and many other engines, cracked heads soon follow because the cylinders overheat due to that exhaust restriction.
This man is spot on!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:11 AM
ballstimeballs
Professional

Originally Posted by Johnn123
This man is spot on!
I would have to agree that was a pretty awesome response! I really have to say THANK YOU to the guys here on dodgeforum! Over the years I have saved thousands by keeping my truck out of the shop with the information the members have provided!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:46 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to agree that was a pretty awesome response!
Thanks! The flowers are greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Stumped: CEL and Running Rough