2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How hard are spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 05:11 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by 982500
AtomicDog, you did not put the heat shields back? No issues with the boot cracking? How long have you been running like that?
I've been running like that now for several years. When I changed spark plugs, I also installed a new set of Taylor plug wires, distributor cap and rotor (with brass inserts) and never looked back. I use a touch of dielectric grease inside the plug boot to make them easier to remove later on, but no issues with removing the heat shields whatsoever.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some might be an echo of what others have stated, but here's my list of tips:
  • Use regular Copper core plugs. Champion 436s (RC12LC4s) are what I use and are Original Equipment. Inspect them all closely for chips or cracks in the ceramic before installation (actually, do this in the parking lot before leaving the parts store)
  • Give the boots a little bit of a twist back and forth to free them from the old plugs before pulling them off
  • Get a blow gun with a long thin pipe on the end of it to get down deep into the heat shield by the base of the spark plug and blow them out good with compressed air. This step is critical to clean out the rust. The blow gun I use has probably a 20" extension tube on it and was about $4 at harbor freight.
  • Check the gap of the new plugs. Always. Label in front of the radiator will give you the gap. 0.040" if I recall correctly.
  • Install the new plugs with just a little bit of anti-seize on the threads. Too much will bind the threads up the next time you remove the spark plugs.
  • Put a little bit of dielectric grease in the boot to help prevent it from sticking to the new plugs.

Here's a firing order diagram if you accidentally mix up the plug wires. You can also use a sharpie to mark both ends of each wire with which cylinder it belongs to as you remove them.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Amateur

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I will remove those little heat shields next time around (just did new plugs last week) and will check out the Taylor products.

Old 12-13-2014, 12:04 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some really bad advice in this thread....Dielectric grease is a non-conductive grease, it will act as an insulator, DON'T fill your spark plug boot with it, just use a TINY amount around the opening to keep moisture out, it can also help prevent arching.

As said, take the metal heat shields out and toss em in the trash, not needed.

Taylor wires are junk, if you are going to replace the wires get something better. I use Firecore 50s on my Ram and Dakota,

Old 12-13-2014, 12:13 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the house brand for wires. Works fine for a street engine.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:22 AM
onegoodmason
Veteran

X2 , I have not heard many good things about Taylor wires . I like my MSDs , they don't care about special TSB routing , but I do anyways .
X2 on blowing out the spark plug area with air , I do it religiously . Before owning a compressor , I would pressure wash the area (hoping I started after , lol) and let it dry out before changing .

These trucks are easy to change plugs in . Hemi's a PITA

Old 12-13-2014, 08:29 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

For the record, I've used Taylor Spiro-Pro wires (not the cheaper Taylor wires) for years on numerous different engines and had absolutely no issue with them. Due to the way the molded spark plug boot is configured, removing the spark plug heat shields is a must for the best fit. These are the wires I used on the Dodge 5.9 Magnum engine in my truck - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-74671

Old 12-13-2014, 06:09 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Taylor Spiro-Pro wires... Once

I'd get some better wires.

Quick Reply: How hard are spark plugs?