2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Universal CAT Fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 01:07 AM
dodgefan99
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal CAT Fitment?

So I'm looking at this CAT mainly because it has a 3" inlet/outlet so when I put my new y-pipe on my new headers I can go straight into the CAT. My question is will it work. Its 500lbs. less vehicle weight capacity than OEM whatever that means but it says it will work up to 5.9L (Mines 5.2L). I need a single 3" CAT because I'm doing Pacesetter long tubes which are 3" with the Pacesetter off-road y-pipe which is also 3". I know I'll need some exhaust bungs btw.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:59 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Flowmaster catalog says it doesn't fit, may not heat up enough for the 5.2.
I used a 3inch IN/OUT Magnaflow for my setup.
If you search Magnaflow site for 2001 Dodge Ram (VAN) you will find 3inch IN/OUT cats specifically for our 5.2 and 5.9 motors, a different cat depending on which motor you have. Why not go with Magnaflow and that way you are sure it is correct size for your motor?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...ct/49state.asp

Looks like the one for the 5.2 is $93 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...naflow&_sop=15

Last edited by beeker; 01-25-2015 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:40 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by beeker
Flowmaster catalog says it doesn't fit, may not heat up enough for the 5.2.
I used a 3inch IN/OUT Magnaflow for my setup.
If you search Magnaflow site for 2001 Dodge Ram (VAN) you will find 3inch IN/OUT cats specifically for our 5.2 and 5.9 motors, a different cat depending on which motor you have. Why not go with Magnaflow and that way you are sure it is correct size for your motor?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...ct/49state.asp

Looks like the one for the 5.2 is $93 on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...naflow&_sop=15
That's still not the correct one. That's for 2000-2001 RAM Van's. I've got a 98 Dodge RAM 1500 Sport.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

"Universal fit"... 5.2/5.9... the cat doesn't know if it's a truck, van or skateboard... it also has no idea what year your truck was built... so long as it's in the 5.2/5.9 capacity range, it's happy.
The cat doesn't even know (or care) if it's Dodge, GM, or Ford.

Universal fit cat's are sold based on GVW and engine capacity... if your vehicle fits the spec range for the cat, you're good.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:25 PM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by Spillage
"Universal fit"... 5.2/5.9... the cat doesn't know if it's a truck, van or skateboard... it also has no idea what year your truck was built... so long as it's in the 5.2/5.9 capacity range, it's happy.
The cat doesn't even know (or care) if it's Dodge, GM, or Ford.

Universal fit cat's are sold based on GVW and engine capacity... if your vehicle fits the spec range for the cat, you're good.
Just realized it looks like u have the same truck as I do and the same setup that I'm wanting to go to. Is that the CAT u used?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, I got the one for Ram van for the 5.9. Only difference is the van has 3in in/out. For same exact motor as the van.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgefan99
Just realized it looks like u have the same truck as I do and the same setup that I'm wanting to go to. Is that the CAT u used?
It might help if you fill in your vehicle info in your profile.
Are you regular cab short box?
4x4?

Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter 'Y'-Pipe, Magnaflow #12279 Muffler, and Magnaflow #15035 Tailpipe, are a direct no cut fit in a RC/SB.

To get a Cat in this setup you need to trim the Y-pipe as far forward as you can, and trim the tailpipe as close to the hump over the axle as possible... then use a short Cat like the Magnaflow 94109... you have to stack everything as close together as you can and weld it up (no room for clamps)... put an O2 bung in the short gap between the cat and muffler.
FL not checking, I may have neglected to fit mine, and just put the O2 bung before the muffler with a plug saver... the cat might be in the shed just in case.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:33 AM
dodgefan99
Professional

Originally Posted by Spillage
It might help if you fill in your vehicle info in your profile.
Are you regular cab short box?
4x4?

Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter 'Y'-Pipe, Magnaflow #12279 Muffler, and Magnaflow #15035 Tailpipe, are a direct no cut fit in a RC/SB.

To get a Cat in this setup you need to trim the Y-pipe as far forward as you can, and trim the tailpipe as close to the hump over the axle as possible... then use a short Cat like the Magnaflow 94109... you have to stack everything as close together as you can and weld it up (no room for clamps)... put an O2 bung in the short gap between the cat and muffler.
FL not checking, I may have neglected to fit mine, and just put the O2 bung before the muffler with a plug saver... the cat might be in the shed just in case.
Regular cab, short bed, 2wd

Quick Reply: Universal CAT Fitment?