2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Combination Valve vs Proportioning Valve

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:32 PM
rileyecurry
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combination Valve vs Proportioning Valve

My ABS and brake lights are on. I took the 2001 Ram 1500 in and the mechanic told me that the Combination Valve needed to be replaced. They wanted $650 for the repair, so I am looking for replacement parts myself to make the repair. All I can find are Brake Proportioing Valves. I don't know much about cars, but my understanding of combination valves is that the Proportioning Valve is part of the Combination Valve. Am I wrong? Are the terms interchangeable? Should I be ok just ordering the Proportionaing Valve? Any insight into the problem would be great.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Do you have four wheel abs? Or just rear wheel abs? Is your speedometer working properly?

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM
rileyecurry

The truck is RWAL. The speedometer seems to be working fine.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:56 PM
rileyecurry

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have four wheel abs? Or just rear wheel abs? Is your speedometer working properly?
The truck is RWAL and speedometer seems to be working fine but the transmission display is slightly off sometimes.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Trans display is easily adjustable. Grab the 01 service manual from here, if you don't already have one.

Done any brake work recently? How is your pedal? These trucks are notorious for the line to the rear to blow out..... and that will turn both lights on. (and the line likes to break above the gas tank, so, no leak is apparent for a while.)

Old 02-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 362 Likes on 340 Posts

What "mechanic" told you that? The dealer? Ask him what the fault codes are? There is an issue in the brake/ABS that causes the both lights to come on. I think he may be taking you for a financial ride. Get a second opinion!

Quick Reply: Combination Valve vs Proportioning Valve