2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bad Transmission or Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:38 PM
99 RAM 1500 SPORT DRIVER
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Transmission or Transfer Case?

Over the last few weeks my truck has experienced some problems that have progressed slowly until today. 3 to 4 weeks ago my truck would not shift properly around 45 mph. It would still go faster but my rpms would go up too, and I'd have to let off the gas for 3 to 4 seconds for it to shift to the next gear. I was told my catalytic converter was clogged and that I should get it red hot to clean it out a bit. I took it on the highway for 10 miles at 90 mph and this seemed to fix the problem for a few days until it slowly returned. Then at two random times, I'd hear the screech of some gear like a giant zipper when I slowed down to a stop. Today this happened twice in a row. The original shifting problem got worse over the day until that horrible zipping sound and vibration would happen every time I slowed down to stop. The 4x4 shifter would move around during this which made me think something could be forcing the transfer case to engage at random. If I held the shifter back while I slowed down I didn't have the problem most of the time but it still didn't sound normal. I don't know a whole lot about transmissions or transfer cases. I want to replace the bad part but want to make sure I don't replace the wrong one.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Do you hear the noise about the same time the trans downshifts? Or does the noise continue thru a gear change? Have you check the fluid in your t-case? (it just takes ATF +4)

Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 PM
mynah1

I'd also check you transmission mounts (broken or loose). This could put pressure on your shifting levers. Check the obvious and report back.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM
99 RAM 1500 SPORT DRIVER
Amateur

It started the noise at random originally, but when it started happening consistently, it was as soon as I slowed down. I couldn't hear if it was shifting or not because the noise was so loud. I should point out that it only started doing it every time after I added about one third of a bottle of Lucas Transmission stop slip, which was recommended to me at autozone. It could be pure coincidence though since the problem was getting worse throughout the day. I checked the fluid and it was just above the min marker line. The transmission mounts don't appear to be broken or loose.
These problems only got bad after I was trying to fix problems with my hazards and brake lights not working. Something is blowing the fuses and I am trying to find that problem still. Could it be an ele
ctrical problem as well perhaps?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 PM
99 RAM 1500 SPORT DRIVER
Amateur

Also, is replacing the transmission an impossible task for one man? I'm going to replace it with a junk yard one and don't know if I should give it to a shop to swap out.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you have a trans jack, it's not too bad by yourself, just time consuming. If you have to bench press it into place, don't even try it. You are highly likely to do some serious damage to yourself. (also, is this truck 2 or 4 wheel drive?)

For the lights blowing, do you have a trailer harness on your truck? If you do, remove it. I bet the problem goes away.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:54 PM
99 RAM 1500 SPORT DRIVER
Amateur

Its a 4x4. I removed the trailer harness already and the hazards and turn signals quit blowing the fuse, but my brake lights are still blowing fuses. I'm gonna have to find a wiring schematic and check all the grounds. There is rust under the truck so its likely gonna be a rusted out ground from what people have told me.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:12 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by 99 RAM 1500 SPORT DRIVER
Its a 4x4. I removed the trailer harness already and the hazards and turn signals quit blowing the fuse, but my brake lights are still blowing fuses. I'm gonna have to find a wiring schematic and check all the grounds. There is rust under the truck so its likely gonna be a rusted out ground from what people have told me.
get a circuit breaker that is rated the same as the fuse that's blowing to save you on spending a bunch of $$$ on fuses.

Check the sticky for the FSM, it should have wiring diagrams. Sounds like you have a short to ground somewhere.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Service manuals can be found here.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:21 PM
99 RAM 1500 SPORT DRIVER
Amateur

Thanks for all the advice. I had a mechanic come over and ride around with me in it today. He said that horrible sound I here is the transfer case going out of 2H and into neutral. It wouldn't do it at first when I was trying to get it to, it finally did it at random. He said that his did that on his chevy until the transfer case broke completely, but it never did anything to his transmission. So overall, the transmission problem hasn't actually gotten worse. I can still drive it, I just don't want to end up stranded on the highway and have to get towed.
Where would I get a circuit breaker to replace my fuses? I've been looking online and havent been able to find anything like that.

Quick Reply: Bad Transmission or Transfer Case?