2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Moog 377 u-joint install issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM
1fast1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moog 377 u-joint install issue

so after installing the pass u-joint and tried to grease the unit before installing the axle back in the truck and it seems the grease will not go in, am I doing something wrong with the fitting and the adapter I had to get for my grease gun...

ALso after I greased the lower ball joint, should I install the cap plug as it looks like the will not be any clearance with the front axle. SO to service the lower ball joint do you seriously need to uninstall the front end down to the axle just to grease the lower ball joint,.,,,

Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

Lower joint should have had a 90 degree fitting on it. If you are careful, you can change it without having to disassemble the entire axle.

Is it the joint that won't take grease, or one of your adapters that is causing the issue? If the gun worked on its own, without the adapter, I would be looking real hard at the adapter.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:23 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Your u joints should have come with plugs that go in the holes. You need to remove the plugs and install the 90* zerk fittings. After you are done greasing them you need to put the plug back in. You can NOT leave the 90* fitting in or the axle shaft will break it off when it turns. This site won't let me post a pic location so here is the link.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...aft-by-u-joint

Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Largefarva
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im pretty sure even a 90 degree fitting doesn't clear the axle as stated above. So ya, you likely need to grease it and plug it, no other way really, and the oe ones aren't greaseable so they didn't need to make clearance there.
As far as the U-joint goes, I'd try a different grease fitting.

Quick Reply: Moog 377 u-joint install issue